• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone come up with a way to pump gas at the station like a normal person?

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
It's a pain in the ass having to turn the pump upside down, seated just right over the hole, and clocked at 3:00 just to get it to pump without stopping every 5 seconds only to overfill a tad bit when it's done. Not only that, I have to find the right gas stations that have the longer nozzle to make even THIS possible.

I've never had a Bronco that I could just put the pump in the truck, set the trigger and let it fill up hands-free but it is one annoyance that I think we can find a way to fix.

If it comes down to it I'll cut the sheet metal off a Jeep, graft it to my EB and make that work but I'd really rather not after I've gone and painted it.

So, any ideas?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
SOMETHING is a amock with your vent.....i have no problems with mine.

OP
OP
HoldMyPocket

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
I have a 23 gallon tank, and a '75 fuel neck that has had the little smog door knocked out of it (because that made it really impossible to pump gas). Do you have the vapor accumulator in your truck? I do not, is that something I should hook up?

SOMETHING is a amock with your vent.....i have no problems with mine.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
mine only has the vent of the filler, 23 gallon as well

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Never had trouble filling our stock 1970. I would bet yours is not stock and the filler is not installed right or your vent is not hooked up.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
My stock main tank fills okay, it's just the aux tank that acts like yours, and the vent is fine. Drives me nuts.

OP
OP
HoldMyPocket

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
So here are a couple of pictures of what I have going on:

The Filler
VCYwK.jpg

The Tank
8g1Z4.jpg

What should be on those two tubes on the left?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
those used to go to a vapor canister i belive....

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
mine does the same thing. even when my vapor canister was hooked up, i still couldn't pump normal. to this date i still have to have the hose in the nozzle at the 12:00 position.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My stock '68 fills funny too. Not sure why I just assumed it was because the sharp turn in the filler neck and the velocity of modern fuel station pumps. They really throw the fuel out!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
The only problem I have is that I need to hold my ear to it or else I won't know when it's about to end up on my shoes.

OP
OP
HoldMyPocket

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
Are any of you actually able to stick the pump in the truck, set the trigger and walk away while it fills up?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Are any of you actually able to stick the pump in the truck, set the trigger and walk away while it fills up?

yes, but I never have stuck the pump in the truck...use the nozzle.:p here's my method. don't push the nozzle in all the way or push it in all the way then pull it back out about 2-3 inches and set the auto thingy on slow speed. the gas splash back in the small inlet is what is shutting it off. go slow.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Here in so cal you not only have to hold the pump upside down you also have to push against the spring loaded vapor boot. I had a vapor recovery clip that would hold the boot back for you but you still had to flip the pump upside down and hold it there. So I stopped using the clip the sensors out there are so sentitive its all a pain in the butt.

Mark in Memphis

It is impossible to pump gas into a Bronco like a normal person. You'll always be cooler than a normal person and there's no way to disguise it.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I don't think I've met a normal person who owns a Bronco :)

I gotta clock mine at 12:00 and just try to put a foot up like one of those cowboy silhouettes to look cool

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I Would suspect the small companion sent hose from the tank to the neck Has a pinch in it
Sent from my Droid using Smacktalk 2