• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone ported and polished cylinder heads?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haven't seen this subject on here yet. I had the waking up a 289 thread going earlier. As a result, I have a Q-Jet Stage 2 carb, Weiand intake and cast/machined adapter. Looking at Speedway AL heads to save some cash. I plan to have the adapter welded to the intake and will blend and stipple it as suggested in the other thread. I'd like to port and polish the heads as well. I've been watching the videos and have ordered an Eastwood kit. Any tips from the pros here? Thanks, Mark

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Beam me up. I seem to remember you stating that you wanted to keep your 289 as stock looking as possible. The GM carb and Weiand high rise aluminum intake hardly resemble the stock 289. May as well, put an supercharged LS3 in there. Your previous thread went off the tracks quickly. Now there seems to be no direction to this project. Where are you going?

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
jckkys, you are sooo right! I'm still going to do my best to make it all blue and have stock valve covers and air cleaner on it. That being said, the whole project will be kept looking as stock as I can. No suspension lift, a 1" body lift, restore the cutouts (I have them on the shelf), disc brakes, power steering. So there is a direction, it's just not as pure as I started out. Next thing you know I'll be buying a stroker kit for the damned thing.
So, any thoughts on head porting?

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas
If I read that right, you're planning to run some aluminum heads. Most aluminum aftermarket heads have pretty large runners compared to stock. In my experience porting heads will only produce a very small amount of flow difference unless you are planning on running a fast turning (high rpm.....6000-7000) engine, and it's entirely possible to over flow a motor and lose a noticeable amount of midrange. I would think a bronco motor used for mild street and off-road use would suffer from such a mod. The most I've ported on sbf heads for a basic Offroad motor was open up the exhaust ports to let the engine breath. I would think the loss of low-midrange would make a full port job useless. Just my experience and opinion, so take it as you will because it's your rig and you know what you want, so........ I would just bolt on the heads, run a bumpy cam, and rock that puppy.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess I was just thinking of cleaning up the ports and a little polish. Based on a video review of those particular heads which found them to be a little rough. Mostly want to do it for the experience.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The area directly behind the valve can benefit the most as it gives you an increase at all cam lift numbers. Blending the bowl into the first angle on the valve job (assuming you have a 3 angle valve job) will help with no loss of power anywhere. If you do not have a 3 angle valve job spend the $ - that will do more than any port work.

Gasket match the intake for the first 1" or so into the head. Clean up the exhaust as best you can but do not port match the runner. The lip prevents reversion back into the cylinder.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks mark, I don't have the heads yet. I've read the 3 angle valve job is the best bang for the buck. I'll make sure I get that done, anything else I do will be for fun.