• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has Ford abandoned us average Joe pushrod guys?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I often crack open a Jegs or Summit book while in deep thought (cough cough) and am flabbergasted at the GM 350 cu inch offerings at any range of cost.

Make all the GM's-break-more-than-Ford's comments you want, but in all reality, it's quite disappointing for a single income household with kids.

Does anyone else wish they could order a Motorcraft 351/5.8 new with a 36mo/50K for $2500 long block or even say 1500 for a new short block F4 casting? Say an even 300hp/350ftlbs of Bronco street engine?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Agreed.
Kinda the crappy part about being into Fords.

RPM289

Agreed.
Kinda the crappy part about being into Fords.
Not Ford but vendors aren't supporting us like the Obama motors boys... Pretty sad if you ask me.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

BroncoBrandon

Doesn't help that they seem to change their engines with every new generation. makes swapping new engines much more difficult than those guys doing LS swaps.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i have an 85 silverado and a 73 eb guess which has a brand new engine and which is still waiting its turn......

hint:
the 350 cost me $3k
the 351 will cost me $5k

for the same power from the same manufacturer. it kinda makes me sad.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I was amazed how much cheaper the same parts were for my 72 chevy when I bought it. But like they said above chevy put the same stinking 350 in everything so not so many specialty parts. I'm sure when edelbrock does a run of 350 performer manifolds the amount they run are far higher than for any motor ford built. Kinda like buying tires for a 15" rim compared to a 17.

pbwcr

Guys build a 100k custom ford hot rod then put in a dirt cheap $3k sbc instead of a proper push rod ford from Ford racing. Go figure???
The BOSS 351/427 would be more appropriate and would be a close fit like a 351.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Guys build a 100k custom ford hot rod then put in a dirt cheap $3k sbc instead of a proper push rod ford from Ford racing. Go figure???
The BOSS 351/427 would be more appropriate and would be a close fit like a 351.

Yup, and it seems like a lot of the time they have to modify the firewall to make room for the chevy dizzy as well.
Whatever %)

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Support for the Cleveland (335 family) engines is growing by leaps and bounds in the aftermarket world. You can now buy 600-700HP naturally aspirated Clevelands that are 100% aluminum: block, heads, intake, rods, pistons, water pump, front cover, intake...everything. Some pretty radical intake setups are available including various MPFI options.

The fact that the Clevelands had/have so much potential "built in" and the fact that they are the numero uno performance option in the Aussie sector has resulted in some amazing developments bother here and down under...and a lot of collaboration between the two.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I agree. I was going to just get a crate motor for mine and there was nothing I wanted. Only super racing motors while Chevy would have had 2 motors I was interested in.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I mean, they are chevys, right?

In high school all the 'cool kids" had the camaros and gave the mustang crowd grief for the very same issue, cost.

johnbeck

Bronco Junkie stated he couldn't find a crate engine to fit his needs. What are you considering? (I'm on the hunt- good quality, not a street racer- RVish cam, good fuel economy for a Bronco- 12/13mpg) Any thoughts(I only live a 100 miles north of you)?
Thanks

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Bronco Junkie stated he couldn't find a crate engine to fit his needs. What are you considering? (I'm on the hunt- good quality, not a street racer- RVish cam, good fuel economy for a Bronco- 12/13mpg) Any thoughts(I only live a 100 miles north of you)?
Thanks

We are comparing factory backed engines, not just reman set ups from ATK, Blueprint and Promar.

For instance:

Chevy Performance 350 through Jegs

Now find a Ford 351W long block from Ford Racing. It doesn't exist in a non-Boss block anymore. Wouldn't it be nice to order all new Ford parts in a long block or even short block F4 roller 5.8 block for say 1899 msrp?

I did find you can order a reman from the dealer, but they aren't new like the Chevy offerings.

Last edited:

pbwcr

Look and the motor in this build. Started out with Vee belts and morphed to serp. He never dealt with a motor fan and ended up with a clean Efan setup with a proper shroud. Tons of other trick stuff all because of his experience with numerous builds.
https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/elite-early-bronco-build.93553/
Turns out - yes there are plenty of builders doing nice Ford motors. Now if you are a DIY guy then you will have to do a lot of digging to come up with quality internals that meet your definition of low cost. Just because Jegs sells cheap chevy parts does not mean they are quality parts. I wonder if Chevy crate motors use these cheap parts? If you study the details of the Ford Boss motors you will find the internal parts come from various high quality vendors and are not made by Ford.
Yes, I am a fan of the multiple Elite builds. The guys builds are full of EB tips

OP
OP
WheelHorse

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I'm confused as to your point. He listed it as a 5.0 Cobra roller engine?

What does this have to do sourcing a NEW factory short or long block for around 2-3K like Chevrolet offers?

I didn't see anything where he sourced it from, specs of what hides inside and how little it cost as a DIY'r to assemble the engine?