• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hauling a stripped EB with an EB, any cautionary tales or advice??

NWcartoons

I am thinking about towing stripped 76 EB with a 75 EB. The 76 is only frame and body, minus the engine, tranny, transfer case, everything underneath.

I will using a Uhaul car dolly. This will be my first experience towing a car. Any cautionary tales, past experience or advice needed?

Will this harm the towing vehicle? Should I dump the hard top on the 76 to lighten it further? Or just forget the entire towing bit altogether.

The towing distance will be about 1,800 miles.?:?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If there's a chance of any traffic, hills, or wind, I wouldn't do it. A short wheel base rig like a Bronco shouldn't be used for any significant towing.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you don't have trailer brakes then I wouldn't do it. With the short wheelbase of the EB it is too easy for things to start getting out of hand and with the trailer brakes there is a way to straighten them up. Without them it's a crap shoot with bad odds. Even with a trailer it would be absulutely necessary that the weight be balanced right. Personally I think I would try to beg or borrow a better rig to tow with instead.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
U-hauls around the country may have different policies, but out here, they will only rent you a tow dolly or trailer if the towing vehicle weighs significantly more than the vehicle being towed. There's no way they'd rent me one for towing an EB with an EB even if it was just a rolling chassis.

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
I once say an EB stuffed into a larger U-Haul truck while towing another. I did not save a pic of it, or remember what size U-Haul truck it was. Just an idea.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
BlueEyeDevil said:
I once say an EB stuffed into a larger U-Haul truck while towing another. I did not save a pic of it, or remember what size U-Haul truck it was. Just an idea.
Stop it. Now your giving me ideas.;D Anyone know the inside width of say the 24' trucks? Might be time to start hitting the auctions.

Okay, the 26' trucks are 7'9", the 24' is 7' 6". Mine is wide at 80" and it would have about 10" to spare. (Depending on the door jam at the back)

Tuck

I'm sure you could get the EB in there, but I don't know how you'd tie it down. Car haulers have a stap around the tires (which aren't made for anything more than a car tire, 33s won't fit) & have a safety chain front & rear. U-Haul trucks only have a pathetic rail to tie rope onto. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be more unsafe than towing with the EB. Then you have the rear wheel wells to worry about...

chawkfan

Loc.
Mebane, NC
I hauled my 69 from Wa to VA inside a moving truck, I beleive it was a 24'. The wooden floors of the moving truck made it possible to screw "big" wooden chocks to it. I had to use my companies loading ramp to load it and the same 3,000 miles later. My friends thought I was crazy for doing it, but you should have seen the look on the peoples face when I unloaded my baby in VA.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
BlueEyeDevil said:

;D ;D ;D ;D
been there, done that. The only prob i had was getting the EB out of the larger truck (had to find a tall enough dirt birm to roll it out of the cargo truck) more piece of mind than towing it.... IMO..

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
While I have never seen anyone do it with a Bronco, I have seen a couple of pictures of old Willy's jeeps stuffed into the back of U-Haul trucks. Seems like a pretty cool way to move to me :cool:

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I put a 84 mustang in the back of a uhaul box truck for 2400 miles. Never moved an inch. not tied down at all, as there was no place to do it. just put some blocks inbetween the tires and side wall, and hope to god you dont have to stop quick.

I have seen some truckers take junky cars down south for whatever reason. Never tied down, sharing a load with our equipment in a box trailer.

as for the towing.. 1800 miles though is a long way to drag it!!! If it were 200 miles I woudl be all for it..thats jsut too far too overloaded. you not only have to think about stopping but cooling your overburdened bronco.

Whoever said the thing about uhaul checking is right. They want to know whats doing the towing and whats being towed.
I towed an import car on a flatbed behind my bronco with no brakes. but then again I do a lot of stupid things.:eek:

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
1800 MILES !!????
is that a typo?

Id get a truck big enough to haul both of them.

Who'd wanna even drive an EB 1800 miles, let alone tow with it?

If it was 5 miles on backroads, Id say go for it.

If you do use a dolly, it would be cheaper to buy one, than rent it for a week at $40/day plus the $150 one way drop off fee.

I'll let you know.......I'm hauling my 5x8 utlity trailer with the Bronco from California to Virginia in September; 3,000 miles (yikes).

I've got a 77, no extras such as trailer brakes etc. I'll be taking I-40 for the most part. Any warnings regarding I-40. Steep grades etc?

I think the trailer will probably weigh around, maybe a little less than 2,000 lbs

Thoughts??

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
OK I will give you advice based on my own experiences with multiple moves (thank you US Army) with an unfinished (still) Bronco.

Move #1 Fort Bragg, NC to Ft Leavenworth, KS

- 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and U-Haul car dolly (front wheels only)
- Dolly straps will NOT fit tires over 31" tall. Had to go get cheap roller tires and wheels for the front, ran the 33s for the rear tires - actually made it more level and less nose in the air.
- You have to lock your steering (either manually or the steering wheel locks - I had neither). Otherwise at the most unopportune time;D the dolly goes one way, the wheels turn another and your Bronco appears larger in one side mirror than the other. Had fun keeping it centered. Tow dolly works on a pivot.
- Jeep had enough power and marginal brakes to do the run. Weight of the Jeep was too light in my opinion. Your stripped Bronco might be better but really worry about the short wheelbase of the Bronco doing the towing.

Move #2 Fort Leavenworth, KS to Ft Bragg, NC

- 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi and U-Haul car trailer.
- Same issue with wheel straps. I just strapped it down like you would on a normal trailer.
- no centering issues.
- Plenty of power and size/weight ratio of the tow vehicle was MUCH better. Trailer brakes would have been an asset coming down out of TN/western NC moutains.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
1977 said:
I'll let you know.......I'm hauling my 5x8 utlity trailer with the Bronco from California to Virginia in September; 3,000 miles (yikes).

I've got a 77, no extras such as trailer brakes etc. I'll be taking I-40 for the most part. Any warnings regarding I-40. Steep grades etc?

I think the trailer will probably weigh around, maybe a little less than 2,000 lbs

Thoughts??
The steepest grades on I40 are near the Tennesee/North Carolina border. 3 years ago when I moved back up here we drove the entire length (My house in North Carolina was within half a mile of the end of I40 and the back yard was 25 ft. from it). There's a good climb near Asheville,NC going westbound on it (About like grapevine) but I don't recall any others that were significant.

SaddleUp said:
The steepest grades on I40 are near the Tennesee/North Carolina border. 3 years ago when I moved back up here we drove the entire length (My house in North Carolina was within half a mile of the end of I40 and the back yard was 25 ft. from it). There's a good climb near Asheville,NC going westbound on it (About like grapevine) but I don't recall any others that were significant.

Anything like driving up I-5 through Northern California/ Southern Oregon?? In other words, with those passes being a 10, what would the biggest one on I-40 be?

Thanks

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I'd predict that you'll be pulling pretty hard between Ashfork and Flagstgaff AZ. The grade is fairly steep PLUS you'll be topping out at about 7200 ft. The altitude gain while compensated for by modern fuel injection for mixture, still takes a big toll on engine output. Not that it will be an issue for you, but watch out for speed traps on I40 just east and west of Flag.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
1977 said:
Anything like driving up I-5 through Northern California/ Southern Oregon?? In other words, with those passes being a 10, what would the biggest one on I-40 be?

Thanks
Most of them are probably around a 7 on that scale with one are in NC that would be an 11 but only for a short spot going westbound. Once you get out of California I think you will find most of it smooth sailing. Note: I was going downhill around Flagstaff so I may not have noticed a steep grade in that area. I don't recall working the brakes (I was pulling a 25' travel trailer with my 97 Explorer) so it probably isn't too bad.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I know you won't have nothing to worry about in OK and TX:cry: except the wind

rob wilson said:
I'd predict that you'll be pulling pretty hard between Ashfork and Flagstgaff AZ. The grade is fairly steep PLUS you'll be topping out at about 7200 ft. The altitude gain while compensated for by modern fuel injection for mixture, still takes a big toll on engine output. Not that it will be an issue for you, but watch out for speed traps on I40 just east and west of Flag.

Do I have anything to worry about running a carburetor at that altitude? I have a Holley 4 bbl, not sure what model though.

Thing runs like a scalded goat at sea level.