• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hauling my bronco on a trailer

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've posted this before but I think its worth repeating. In my honest opinion this is the best 15" trailer tire you can by. https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/H-901-STI've probably tried 20 different brands and types over the years and this is all I will spend my money on, doesn't have to be hercules there are others on the market now, but the key is all steel construction. Most 6-7k trailers come with 205/75-15 size tires on them, I've not seen a trailer yet that the 225/75-15 would not fit on.

brewchief

Here's a couple of mine on the trailer, it will drive stable at 80-85 mph.

AWdirect and truck and tow are companys that supply the towing and car hauling industry, both have tons of strap options.
8f632625787ebeb6e4806a3344a8e8e2.jpg
bc38804fd6d172dd55a4fd0cf0c3a4e3.jpg
b0e46bf89eb3293eeb97b0ac4bfc1bcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
SO I still like using both my straps & the chains. When one does come loose you've got it caught with another .[/QUOTE]

Cause on the farm we s..t happen every day. Just had mfg weld break on 1 year old hay trailer dumping 6 (1500 lb each) hay rolls on county highway. Lesson learned: check welds on critical items. Spent today adding new lock pins, and added safety chains. Like kitchen knives, trailers can be dangerous if used incorrectly or not maintained, so check the obvious items, but don’t forget the small things.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Something else to add trekgurl. Might have been mentioned but I did not see it.
Once you've dialed in your weight for that 10 to 15 percent tongue weight, if your trailer does not sit level, you "adjust" that by getting a different ball mount.

I do believe that you want your trailer as level as you can get it when loaded properly. Because your van is a heavy duty one and may not squat as much as some vehicles (and this is a good thing usually) you will have to change the ball height to achieve a level trailer.

I'm sure you can tow safely with it slightly out of skew, but if you can make it a little more level, might as well.
Ball mount inserts are available in 1" increments so it's pretty straightforward to do.

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape. But the scale will really tell the tale. Glad you went for it. Probably a few more I've seen on the road should have done that step too!

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Oh yes, Twice I've wanted to say this but forgot to finish .. As Yeller said Be sure & go ahead & spend the money for the Trailer tires.
Texas not sure about the rest of the U.S. BUT It's now law that we are to run genuine trailer tires on our haul trailers. The PoPo have not been ugly about just pulling us over to check & see. But if you happen to get stopped for maybe 85 say in a 60. They seem to have a walk around.
No not me that got to speak to the PoPo but a friend of mine. But on my neighbors trailer he only put new 4 plys on it. We've ruined 3 of them . Not strong enough.
... & On our big 32ft flat bed . I've got 4 ... 16'' trailer tires for it & I've got 3 10 ply truck tires for spares .. I think I like my 10ply truck tires better . Not sure what the PoPo would say about those. But in one 600 mile trip we went through 3 tires. So I guess 3 spares are not to many to carry.
... But on your trailer be sure & buy a set of real trailer tires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you watch any of the WH trip videos, there's a common theme of having to stop to change trailer tires on the way!
Unfortunately, they were in fact trailer rated tires, and some were very heavy duty. But they finally found a set that hasn't let them down yet I think.
Not sure what they ended up with, but they were spendy and heavy rated.

Most people I know that lose tires on trailers though, were from under-inflation and not checking them before, during and after each trip.

Paul

BigB

You can install Shoulder Eye Bolts seeing you don't have tie down points.

This page shows their ratings. Many different brands online.

https://www.certifiedslings.com/load-limits/shoulder-eye-bolts-a-swivel-hoist-rings/

You really want a straight or inline pull on these so would install them on the inside edges of your trailer. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you use straps you need to make sure that none of the strap goes over a sharp edge. I'm sure people get away with this but it's usually in manufacturers specs/instructions.

Also hooks can and do slide along metal if they aren't wrapped around something to stop this travel.

Have you gone with your trailer to a local trailer shop? I'd be surprised if they didn't stock these or something similar to help owners in this situation. Or have a welder on site who is qualified to weld on tie down points.

But if you have a drill you could install yourself. You want to make sure there is enough material(metal) around the bolt.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hil...in-Shoulder-Pattern-1-Pack-320610-0/203809948

2 at front of trailer 2 at back. Or 3 at each end if you add safety chain.

I would use grade 8 nuts and washers.

As well as using 4 straps when I tow cars I also use a chain and binder at each end. It's cheap insurance.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KingCha...-Safe-Work-Load-Storage-Pail-427490/304079339

You need to measure if it will work with your set up but you can get home depot or lowes to cut this chain in half. They then sell rated hooks for the ends that bolt on. I got snap hooks.

Then purchase binders to suit.

A local trailer shop will carry all these items but you may pay more than purchasing it yourself. But it will also give some piece of mind.

I'm not a professional tow truck driver and this doesn't constitute professional advice.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Also keep in mind that most trailer tires are not rated for speeds above 65 MPH when loaded. This has become more of an issue in the super-diesel pickup era because people seem to think they can pull at 80 MPH.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Also keep in mind that most trailer tires are not rated for speeds above 65 MPH when loaded. This has become more of an issue in the super-diesel pickup era because people seem to think they can pull at 80 MPH.

Guilty as charged.......but with a catch......Know what load rating the tires are.

On small trailers utility and such, they tend to come with the cheapest thinnest tire available and ........wait for it....they are unbalanced. Even when I swapped out for better tires the shop didn't balance then because "they're trailer tires". I made them balance them. Example.......unbalanced thin trailer tires on my utility trailer went to CO elk hunting and came back BALD. I upgraded to Trailer King 8 ply and balanced them. Two trip to CO elk hunting and they look new.......

Most bigger trailers run car tires. SO many people including my BNL put P as in passenger car tires on this trailer. He carries 2 spares vs finding some LT tires and putting on it. LT's cost more but come in multiple load ratings. Several of my friends with big 5th wheel trailers run high load rated tires vs trailer tires. It cost more and are hard to find but they seem to not blow out.......

You also have to consider tow angle. Too high or low and the suspension on the trailer will not work properly thus will flat out cup your tires fast. I learned this the hard way........adjusted my angle and no more issues.

Tim

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

I’m guilty as well and have been since the mid 90’s but really try to not run over 70, saves fuel less fuel means more trips;D Besides tires wheel bearings have been an issue as well on the 3500# rated axles, never slowing down for hours at a time just cooks them if they are near capacity. Doesn’t seem to be an issue if stepped up to the 5200# plus axles, exception being issues with Chinese bearings just like on our broncos.

Trekgrl, please speak up if we’re getting too far off topic, this is your thread.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
When you find the "Happy Place" with the bronco on the trailer jusr screw a 2x4 across the trailer in tight to the front tires of the Bronco. Now you have no guess work as to placement of the bronco.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If you watch any of the WH trip videos, there's a common theme of having to stop to change trailer tires on the way!
Unfortunately, they were in fact trailer rated tires, and some were very heavy duty. But they finally found a set that hasn't let them down yet I think.
Not sure what they ended up with, but they were spendy and heavy rated.

Paul

Spendy indeed, Goodyear G614’s. By doing the math not terrible compaired to the number of tires they were replacing but certainly hurts buying them up front. Good or bad there are now some Chinese tires on the market that have the same all steel, regroovable construction as the Goodyear’s for about a 1/3rd the price, several of us that pull hard and heavy are having very good success.

On another note trailer maintenance. It involves more than air pressure. Anually wheel bearings need packed, brakes inspected for wear and brakes adjusted. Tires should also be examined regularly for irregular wear, that curb you hit months ago will turn up later as a broken belt in a tire or even bend an axle. Also check for structural cracks and frayed wires. I have ever only owned 1 Trailer that I have not completely rewired after a couple of years, most factory wiring is enough to be functional when new but not built for a long life. Lastly weigh your load, you can walk through any gathering parking lot and pick out several overloaded trailers, many trail Broncos weight 5000+ pounds on a trailer rated for 7000 and it weighs 2200, add in a tool box or other items and it becomes a slippery slope very fast.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Good or bad there are now some Chinese tires on the market that have the same all steel, regroovable construction as the Goodyear’s for about a 1/3rd the price, several of us that pull hard and heavy are having very good success.

You're right, I run Sailun S637 14 ply load range G tires on my 15k 5th wheel trailer and they have been great tires. They are commercial all steel belted tires and a whole different animal than a regular trailer tires. Also they are rated for 75 MPH.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
On another note trailer maintenance. It involves more than air pressure. Anually wheel bearings need packed, brakes inspected for wear and brakes adjusted. Also check for structural cracks and frayed wires. I have ever only owned 1 Trailer that I have not completely rewired after a couple of years, most factory wiring is enough to be functional when new but not built for a long life.

So true.....While not a car hauler, Still each spring I pull, inspect and repack my bearings on both my trailers. I also run "bearing buddy's" on my trailers. I currently have a trailer the light just stopped working on. Middle of a trip from deer camp, SNL texts me from behind, "none of your trailer lights are working".

Opening weekend of deer season, my dad had a bearing failure on his way to camp. The whole axle had to be replaced in a WalMart parking lot. Kind of summed up the whole season but that's a another story. He wasn't running bearing buddy's and had never even looked at the bearings for the 5 years he's had the trailer. Son, I only pull it to and from deer camp......

My fault really because I need to take a bigger role in keeping his stuff maintained.

Tim

crankman

That looks like a 16ft car hauler, Ive pulled mine many times and they work just fine. Plus you have a 3/4 ton van to pull with. Lots of good advise its not a hard pull what you have there.

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
I think you have got some very good advice here. I like my trailer to be as close to level as possible. I have bad experience with a trailer to low in the front. Low in the back a little doesn't seem to be as bad. When I'm loading any of my trailers for the first time, I start with pulling on until my truck squats 2" to 3" for my starting point. Adjust as nessacary.