• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head Gasket and compression test

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Will a compression test tell me if I have a blown head gasket? How much does a comprssion test kit go for? What should I look for as far as numbers go while testing?
stock 302, 2barrel...
cheers...

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
It may show up as low compression, but I had a cracked block that had great compression during the test. When the block warmed, the crack opened up....

I'd expect 130-150 psi with all being within 10% of each other.

Cost... I have no clue...

jeffdukovac

Try a block tester (make sure you get new fluid).
If you have a blown head gasket the fluid will change color.
If the fluid changes ever so slightly (you have old fluid) change your head gaskets and look for a hairline between the cylinder and the water ports.

Jeff

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I saw a compression tester at Sears last week for ~$26.99 and at Advance Auto Parts for ~$28.99, both were the same brand.