• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Header coatings?

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Header coatings?

I've been considering doing somthing to my Headman headers and exhaust tubing primarilly to help reduce the floorboard temp for my wifes feet. Even with a 1" body lift the extra heat can be pretty unbearable in the summer.

I've considered Therma-tec header wrap, looks like it would take 3 rolls at $50 a roll and 3 cans of ther spray stuff at $7 a can. $171.... What do thoes coatings cost?

Started looking at Jethot coatings, Ooops, someone said they got a quote at $350 for a used set of headers.

Looked at Ceramic coating, price looked simmilar to Jet hot.

I am pretty sure what I am going to do is either have my used Headman headers coated or by a pre-coated set. I am going to fab up some new exhaust and send it for coating.

Ok, looking at the practical end here are the questions:

1. What is the difference between JetHot and ceramic coating?

2. Cost difference?

3. External temp of the headers? It looks like ceramic coating say ~40% temp reduction where Jet Hot says ~60%.

4. Is there any other coatings that I should consider?

5. Are any of these options available in the greater L.A. area?

6. What did you do and how much did it cost you?

Thanks,

Dan

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Stay away from the wrap all it does is cause your headers to rust out it does keep the heat away though. I dont think there is any differance in jet hot or ceramic coatings I'm pretty sure they are the same, Jet hot is probalby just a name brand for a ceramic coating although it could be slightly different.
Not sure about todays prices I had my headers coated about 10 years ago in salt lake city by HPC it was about $250 at the time. I would imagine that used headers would require more prep than new hedders that might be the reason for the higher price. Might be worth it to give jet hot a call get your quote straight from the horses mouth. One other thing you will have to consider you'll be paying for shipping twice with your used headers.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I paid the extra $$ for duffy's ceramic coated headers and it was a waste of money. After like 3 weeks it started flaking off. My buddy sent his out to jet hot. His are still nice and it's been a few years. Mud discolored them a little but they still look nice with no rust.

CDOG

Loc.
Tucson
I have a $25 off coupon for Jet-hot that you can have if you want it. P.M. me if you want it.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you considered leaving your headers alone and fabbing up a heat shield on the firewall and floorboard? You'll get more temperature reduction at your feet for significantly less money. It's amazing what some thin guage stainless on stand-offs can do for you with respect to heat shielding.

If you want to go the new header route, you may want to call Jet Hot or any of the ceramic coating companies (look for an Industrial Coating company in the phone book) and ask what all is entailed to coat used headers, that way you can decide whether any of the prep work is within your abilities/tools and do it before sending them off to be plated. I would think they probably wouldn't warranty their work though if you prepped it.

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I am also planning on doing the heat sheild thing. I just want to make sure to do whatever I can to fix this heat problem. I want to make sure my wife is as comfetable as possible when she goes wheeling with me. She loves wheeling, I just want to keep it that way.

Dan

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
From my limited understanding the ceramics are just that, but Jet hot is a ceramic metallic which is tougher. If you are buying new headers I would look at BC Broncos. They have shorty header that are coated just like the jet hot, also it has been designed by Chuck to fit in the broncos, and is a 14 guage tube. That is beefer then the other headers I have seen.

Cheers
Martin

OP
OP
Bronchole

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
The BC headers are $460.......OUCH!

They are ceramic coated, not Jethot.

I have had no problem with the fitment of the Headman headers I have so that is not an issue.

But thanks for your input.

Dan