• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

headers...looking for 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 primaries

roostracing

Loc.
South Texas
Guys,

Ive ran headers in every vehicle ive owned over the years. I have never ever ever bought a tiny 1 1/2 primmary on long tubes. I have used 1 5/8 and even 1 3/4 primary headers. I have searched and searched and all i see are long tubes with 1 1/2 primaries.

Does anyone know where i can get some long tube headers with bigger primaries? If they even make them.

1 1/2 inch primaries are MUCH better than the stock manifold but seems odd i cant find anything bigger.

Thanks in advance!

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BCB Headers has 1 5/8", but they are shorties. 2 1/2" Pipe from there is a good option.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As said, BCB headers are 1 5/8" and Bronco Hut headers can be had in 1 3/4" as either a special order, or if timing is good, maybe even off the shelf. But both are shorty headers.

You may have to go custom, but at one time Hooker and one or two other of the "traditional" header companies (Hedman maybe?) offered a larger primary in a Bronco header.
Maybe it was only 1 9/16, but I thought I remembered 1 5/8" Super Comp headers at one point.

Not much call for them is why you don't easily come up with them. Not all EB owners are looking for max power at higher rpms, or to exhaust bigger motors, or want to pay the low-volume price. And the small tube primaries are plenty good for most.
As you said, they're still an upgrade over stock, and that pleases the masses just fine. Going to be more than enough for me too.

But if I was going custom, I'd go with long stepped tubes ranging from 1.5 at the head, to 1 9/16 and then 1 5/8 near the collector. Not a lot of room in an EB engine compartment for all that fiddliness though, or in the budget for that custom header cost. So standard off-the-shelf smallies is the ticket for mine.

With the seeming increase lately in larger and deeper breathing engines going into EB's, you might find someone making a header like you want, and more able to sell them now.
Definitely check with the old-school manufacturers (sounds like you have already?) and maybe even give them a call in case it's not in their catalogs anymore.
Or resort to one of the custom-header companies out there?

Now you've got us curious though! Whatcha gonna be running in your EB? Judging by your screen-name and your choice of vehicles, it sounds like you enjoy puttin' the power to the ground. Building something exciting for the EB too?
Just curious.

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
roostracing

roostracing

Loc.
South Texas
As said, BCB headers are 1 5/8" and Bronco Hut headers can be had in 1 3/4" as either a special order, or if timing is good, maybe even off the shelf. But both are shorty headers.

You may have to go custom, but at one time Hooker and one or two other of the "traditional" header companies (Hedman maybe?) offered a larger primary in a Bronco header.
Maybe it was only 1 9/16, but I thought I remembered 1 5/8" Super Comp headers at one point.

Not much call for them is why you don't easily come up with them. Not all EB owners are looking for max power at higher rpms, or to exhaust bigger motors, or want to pay the low-volume price. And the small tube primaries are plenty good for most.
As you said, they're still an upgrade over stock, and that pleases the masses just fine. Going to be more than enough for me too.

But if I was going custom, I'd go with long stepped tubes ranging from 1.5 at the head, to 1 9/16 and then 1 5/8 near the collector. Not a lot of room in an EB engine compartment for all that fiddliness though, or in the budget for that custom header cost. So standard off-the-shelf smallies is the ticket for mine.

With the seeming increase lately in larger and deeper breathing engines going into EB's, you might find someone making a header like you want, and more able to sell them now.
Definitely check with the old-school manufacturers (sounds like you have already?) and maybe even give them a call in case it's not in their catalogs anymore.
Or resort to one of the custom-header companies out there?

Now you've got us curious though! Whatcha gonna be running in your EB? Judging by your screen-name and your choice of vehicles, it sounds like you enjoy puttin' the power to the ground. Building something exciting for the EB too?
Just curious.

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul...i always enjoy reading your input! I love racing...i love horsepower! This bronco is my 2nd. I had a 66 in the army and sold it before i left back in 98. I always regretted it because it was SUPER fun in Hawaii where i was stationed. I bought this one for me but will probably be going to my 7 year old when hes ready to drive (unless he wants to drive the lightning...nitrous bottle will be removed lol). So, i am a fan of getting the most usable power safely...i want it reliable. I will be looking in the next year or two for a 68-70 302 longblock. I would like to achieve about 300 rwhp. All my vehicles that ive raced all had suspension mods and upgraded components FIRST before power. No sense of having a lot of power if you cannot put it to the ground. Since this is a bronco that will never see a race track, i'd like to keep fun but sfae and reliable. Its a new toy for us and i wish i ccould just throw thousands of dollars at it like i use to before i was married lol

I still need to call you to get the u bolts and plates along with the perches. Im just waiting to get the bronco back from the electrical shop with my bill to see where i am at before ordering. Beefed up suspension, full exhaust, radiator and e-fan, and a nice deep sump trans pan are first on the list of mods to do. Ive acquired a weiand stealth intake (new in box free) and a holley 4 barrel carb. I will be choosing a mild cam to match what i want to do. I dont think ill install the engine parts on my current motor but save them for when im ready to build the new longblock. Im happy that the guy before me installed a new MSD pro billet distributer, new MSD wires, new MSD ignition box, and a new MSD coil.

I like doing one system at a time too. Once the lights are working properly, i will do all the rear set up first (u bolt/plates, perches, wrap trap, shocks). Then move on to the front with new 5.5 inch coils and shocks..etc

I think in 2 years time its going to be really nice...i just need to learn some patience lol

brewchief

The no longer made Hooker super comp fenderwell headers were 1 5/8, there was talk on here a little while back that Mad Dog headers was now making a new fenderwell header for early broncos but nothing shows on their website right now, based on their other headers I would expect them to be a large tube.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
You might check L&L Products. They are famous for V8 conversion kits but I know they offer a line of headers, just not sure if for Early Broncos or what tube size.

DJs74

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wasn't there an outfit in or near Vancouver, WA that made some limited production runs of EB headers geared towards the big-cube stroker crowd? I thought it was originally posted up by 74strokerbronco, but now I can't seem to find it.

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
Wasn't there an outfit in or near Vancouver, WA that made some limited production runs of EB headers geared towards the big-cube stroker crowd? I thought it was originally posted up by 74strokerbronco, but now I can't seem to find it.

Apogee is correct , there was a place up in Washington that did a shorty that was 1 3/4 primaries , but again it was a shorty not full length, Ad I too can't find that darn thread now or remember the name.

I ended up building my own long tube 1 7/8 primary headers from stuff from shoenfeld . my heads run a 3/4" raised exhaust port so no off the shelf would fit nor breath enough, I did pattern them very close to the duff long tubes but not sure how they would work out on manual trans or lower exhaust ports on the heads installs or without a min 1" body lift. Mark at shoenfeld wants me to send him my headers so he can 3d lazar scan them for the cnc mandrel bender . and then he could modify or not if needed and make a nice set without all the hand welded joints etc, he quoted me under 400.00 for a set scanned from mine . .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I can understand the want of larger headers 1 1/2" primaries will easily support the power level your looking at and will probably be better off than with a larger setup.

Hooker did offer super comp 1 5/8" primary fenderwell headers for many years but no longer do. It may be worth contacting them to see if they would do a run quite a few people have expressed interest in these headers and you could post up on the forum about interest in a mass buy to see if you can get some solid orders then you would have a number to work with for them to do a run it may bring the price down. The only issue is that many people run things like shock hoops and such or dont want headers that may be banged up so that takes some people out of the market but there is still interest in them.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'd be interested in a set of 1 3/4" primary shorties with 3" collector. I'm running 1 5/8" primary S/S coated shorties with 2 1/2" collector from JBA now.

BTW Paul, BroncoHut headers are shorties, with 1 5/8" primaries with 3" collector which is a larger diameter than BCB's which are 1 5/8" primary with 2 1/2" collector. I'm not sure if BroncoHut has made very many. I know of one set for sure... might be more, just can't say for sure...

Hope this helps.