• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight issues (brights only)

ksbronco75

Contributor
drove around last night for awhile and was going along just fine until when i had my lights on bright, they started to blink. radio dash lights tail lights side lights all worked fine, didnt blink at all. but when i switched them over to dims they wouldn't blink at all. id switch over to bright again and about 20 min later they'd be blinking again. this a dimmer switch issue or something else? amp gauge read fine just about 0 on charge. any suggestions??

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
drove around last night for awhile and was going along just fine until when i had my lights on bright, they started to blink. radio dash lights tail lights side lights all worked fine, didnt blink at all. but when i switched them over to dims they wouldn't blink at all. id switch over to bright again and about 20 min later they'd be blinking again. this a dimmer switch issue or something else? amp gauge read fine just about 0 on charge. any suggestions??

Your 37 year old wiring isn't as healthy and efficient as it was when new which causes extra draw on your headlight switch, exceeding it's capacity.

I recently installed a headlight relay wiring harness (available from most vendors) and a new set of headlights and mine is now brighter and don't turn off after 5 minutes on high beam.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
X2

The headlight harness is one of the best upgrades you can do!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
X3. The headlight switch contains a thermal circuit breaker and you found the edge of its conductivity. Be glad it didn't happen when driving up a mountain. Headlight relays will take the load off the switch and it won't occur again.