• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight-park light, signal issue with new harness

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just installed a new Centech harness, thought everything was working perfect but found an issue. The left front turn signal works as long as the headlights are off, turn the headlights or park lights on and that left front park light is brighter than the passenger and the turn signal doesn't work, still works in rear but not the front, unless you turn the lights off, then it blinks. Haven't really investigated yet, thought I would post and see if anybody had a thought on where the problem is??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if making sure the ground for the lights is perfectly good does not result in a better working light, then you might need to actually ADD a new ground between the front core support and the rest of the body.
I had to do that on a '69 with new harness because, between paint and rust, the core support was no longer capable of passing sufficient current to light the lights.

Sounds hard to believe, but I've seen it too many times to argue the reality of it against the theory.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very good possibility these days! Good call. I think because it goes out completely then it's likely still a ground issue, but a bright-dim issue would easily be crossed wires.

And we're not necessarily questioning your installation of the Centech either JW. Remember how many complaints we've had over the years where the front turn signal lamps were wired backwards from the factory? Happens still to this day.

But if your lamps are older or original, and you know that they worked before, then that's not going to be the issue with the lamp itself. But if a new one, then yes it can.

Paul

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wires could easily be reversed, I'm guessing that will be the problem. The park lights were new and the wire colors didn't match the harness so I just picked, and that usually never works for me. Will be Saturday before I can check it out. Could be ground but I paid close attention to grounds when installing the harness. I also added several ground wires between the body, frame, and engine.

Juiceman

Contributor
I had a similar issue and tried looking at a number of things. Ended up the socket (the actual contacts) in the turn signal had turned. What this resulted in was the light shining bright with the lights on and the turn signal working, but it wasn't bright enough to show up. Essentially the wrong filaments in the bulb were shining at the wrong times

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The park lights were new and the wire colors didn't match the harness so I just picked, and that usually never works for me.

Yeah, if there's a 50/50 chance of getting it right, then I have about an 85% chance of getting it wrong!%)

Paul

AZ77Bronco

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
I have the exact, I mean exact problem, that started this morning. thought it was the bulb. Replaced it and same issue. I will have a chance to work on it tomorrow and keep you posted. Please do the same for me if you figure it out soon.

Thanks

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Update, I had the wires reversed on the park light on the drivers side. Swapped the wires around and fixed .

AZ77Bronco

Loc.
Tucson, AZ
update on mine. Believe it or not the blinker/turn signal had never been altered, at least at or near the bulb. I did a test with the bulb reversed at the socket connection and it worked again. I cut and reversed the wires at the socket, so the connector was reversed at the bulb, and everything went back to working as it should. I have no idea why or how that happened. Im no wiring wizard but the previous owner was a moron.