• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

headlight pulse

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
just drove the 67 for the first time at night and found that the headlights seem to pulse
does anyone know what could cause this
thanks
sean

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Just be happy it has a pulse! Just kidding. Not sure what it is but I would like to know as mine does it sometimes as well.

rlwhetsel

Loc.
Staunton
All of my lights do it, not just the headlights. I've been told it is the voltage regulator. replace it and your troubles are solved. I just haven't done it to see if it fixes the problem

65 mustang

Mine does it too. The amp. meter does it as well. Solid state voltage regulator. I GOT TO GET ME ONE! Scott

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Last night flipped on the blinkers, well the gauges started flashing.....only does it when interior lights are turned off....then if you turn them on you get no blinker........

And the fix.......horrible ground at tail light housings, regrounded problem solved.

65 mustang

Mine does it too. The amp. meter does it as well. Solid state voltage regulator. I GOT TO GET ME ONE ! Scott

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
Broncos are notorious for this. Cheezy factory light circuits with power running thru the switch. I solved it with aftermrket kit that uses a solenoid direct to lights. Original wiring becomes just the switch leg firing the solenoid.
Handles HIDs no problem and easy install. Can't remember, but one or more of the big vendors have the kit.

OP
OP
sean lalley

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
thanks i will try the ground first if that does not work i will get me a vr is the solid state the same as the stock one as far as conections

broncobandit

I had the same problem, I replaced the voltage regulater and the dimmer switch. It took care of my problem.
The repair was cheap and worth it.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
The solid state replacement plugs right up and bolts on in the original holes. It took care of my pulsing lights and the dancing meter.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
The solid state reg's look just like the old ones but the can is about half as tall. They bolt right up the ame way.

Remember to bolt it to the fender first, before plugging the harness in.
Doing it reverse can blow the reg (or so says RRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYY)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Mine does it too. The amp. meter does it as well. Solid state voltage regulator. I GOT TO GET ME ONE ! Mark

Off course being one of the worlds best procrastinators, I've lived with it for the 15+ years I've owned it. It is nice to know "it has a pulse" ;) Out here in Orygun, is no big deal :p

broncbuster

I've had the flashing headlight thing happen not just on broncos, but on mid 70s pickups as well. Did it once as I was passing a cop:eek: ....... New headlight switch has always fixed it. Went to H4 headlights on my 76. Overloaded the new switch :cry: went to the relay kit from WH works great;D .

OP
OP
sean lalley

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
got me a new one in and seems to have fixed it will have to wait until i drive it in dark again
thanks

7bronco6

Loc.
PA
Does it matter what kind of voltage regulator you have?? If you have a 94 5.0 in your 76 bronco, should you have a voltage regulator for a 76 or the 94???