• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight recommendations

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Time to replace my old sealed beams.
Does anyone have a recommendation for good quality H4 replacements?
By "quality" I am looking for something that will handle at least 100 watt highs without melting. Has a reflector pattern that won't blind oncoming traffic on low beam. You know what I'm talking about.

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
I'm sporting IPF H4 housings (Wildhorses sells them) and 100W/170W bulbs (which aren't street legal apparently :) ). They are very bright although I have not driven my rig with them yet.

hdfx81

check out classicgarage.com I bought Cibby style H-4 lights from them,very reasonably priced and good quality. They have a good selection of lenses and bulbs.

thunderbolt

Loc.
Concord, NC
I got a pair of the 13007-4c from NPD and LOVE them. They don't have the clearish euro lenses that most do, it more mimics the lines of an original bulb but puts out great light. My only complaint is they arent as convex as a normal 6024, a little bit flatter. They are made by deltatech industries, just cheaper through NPD. On deltatechs website, they have a "convex" version, I just don't know if thats the one I have or not. Like most H4 upgrades, you need to upgrade the harness. LMC truck has a plug in harness that puts two relays in line and uses your stock headlight plugs to hook up to them, making the 12 volts running through them just operate the relays and the plug in harness hooks directly to the battery to supply the lights. The harness is like 27 bucks or something.

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=boc10flx&from=2#

http://www.deltatechindustries.com/site/taxonomy/term/19

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
e code hella's, ryan's harness, standard watt low beams with a little extra on the high beams.

I really like the beam pattern on the e-codes. I am not sure why they are not DOT, they have a better pattern for both you and on coming traffic.
Dennis

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
hella H4 (got a baxter auto parts in town)
build your own harness. I kept blowing the relays on "Ryan's" harness
took it to a buddy that,s an master ASE tech...now its fixed and brighter

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Cibies, Ryans harness...very good....and they arent super crazy bulbs even...but the Cibie glass lens is great.

OP
OP
Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Good information. Thanks for all the replies.
I will be making my own relay harness, been needing to do this for a while anyway.
Now to decide if I really need $200 Cibies.

Deano

Bronco Guru
The IPF H4 put out a good pattern of light for driving on low beam and light up everything on high. I like them very well.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Good information. Thanks for all the replies.
I will be making my own relay harness, been needing to do this for a while anyway.
Now to decide if I really need $200 Cibies.

I had the same issue. I believe Cibies are better, I got a pair of glass Hella e codes for the cost of one Cibie head light. I just could not pry my wallet open far enough to go with them.
Dennis

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another vote for the Hella and Cibié brands. Either one is good, but there is no comparison in the pricing. Hella wins hands down there.
Heard almost nothing but good about the IPF brand. Decent things initially about the Delta brand that Chuck used to sell, but something about them not fitting easily into the stock Bronco bucket came up I think.
Another point in Hellas favor is that, even though it's an Austrian company, most of the components you buy here are built here. That includes the lights, bulbs, relays and all sorts of stuff with the Hella name on it.
There is certainly still some imported stuff, and that's ok, but as a manufacturer goes, Hella probably employs more Americans right now than all the others, from the looks of it. Can't say that's for sure, since I don't know the numbers, but I'm all for buying "American". Even when it's not really "American". If that makes sense.
Especially important these days. So Hella gets my vote here again.

Aside from that bit of patriotic-posturing, another excellent, but sometimes hard to find brand, is Carrello. When I did my multi-brand test 15+ years ago, I tested Eagle Eye, Candlepower, Bosch, Carrello, Hella (e-code only though), Lucas, and a couple of others I can't think of right now.
The only two decent ones of the bunch were the Hellas and the Carrellos. All the rest were junk, in the light department anyway. Most of them were of decent build quality, but the beam patterns went from barely acceptable (Bosch), and went downhill from there (all the rest).

I don't know about the others that are using high-wattage bulbs, but I found that, with the right light, a standard 55 watt low beam is more than adequate for any normal use. Pair that with a 100 watt high beam however, and you have the equal to most dedicated off-road driving lights mounted to your front bumper!
And that way, there is no question about being at least partially legal, because the low-beam is not overly bright to oncoming traffic.

Hope that helps.

Paul

OP
OP
Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Thanks for the great information. In the end, I just paid $18 for a pair of Sylvania halogen sealed beams.
I'm marking this for future reference. Someday, I will spring for the good stuff.

hdfx81

Here's a couple of pics of the cibbie style lights I got from classic garage,they throw a good pattern and they are made to throw light a little to the right and up to light up road signs.They were only $47.90 for the pair including bulbs and shipping.

Attachments

• 100_0012.jpg
    100_0012.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 46

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someday, I will spring for the good stuff.

Nothing wrong with what you got. Probably still better than what you had, especially if they were older vintage lamps.
And semi-reasonably priced too. Or, as in your case, VERY reasonably priced! Was that just for the basic model, or did you get the upgrade models sold by the big companies? For some $18 a piece is not out of line. So you paid $9 each?

As you'll hopefully find, or are already finding, the new versions of the old Halogens have whiter colors and seemingly better output. Not to mention (finally!) better beam-patterns too, in some cases. Hopefully yours will fall into that category.
Several threads here about upgraded sealed-beam halogens.

Let us know what you think of them. And if you haven't already made the relay harness upgrade, maybe try them with the original wiring first, then with the upgrade and let us know what a difference it makes.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a couple of pics of the cibbie style lights I got from classic garage,they throw a good pattern and they are made to throw light a little to the right and up to light up road signs.They were only $47.90 for the pair including bulbs and shipping.

You'll have to let us know what you think about the beam pattern and the quality of the light overall hdfx. It does look like a Cibié with the way the lens is fluted. If they did a good job then, it could be a killer bang-for-the-buck combo.

Do you have them already installed and have any feedback for us?

Paul

hdfx81

You'll have to let us know what you think about the beam pattern and the quality of the light overall hdfx. It does look like a Cibié with the way the lens is fluted. If they did a good job then, it could be a killer bang-for-the-buck combo.

Do you have them already installed and have any feedback for us?

Paul

here's a few pics of the beam pattern,I need to get new adjusters to get them set right but you can get an idea of the pattern, the bulbs are 55W/60W ultra whites.

Attachments

• Low Beam.jpg
    Low Beam.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 50
  • High Beam.jpg
    High Beam.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 46

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great, thanks!
From here, it looks to be a pretty good flat cutoff and right side flare.
Just the way I likes 'em...

Seems to be a pretty concentrated beam pattern on high as well. They show pretty good down the road then, when you've got the brights on?

With all that, and a decent quality construction to last a long time, you may have just found the light that most of the members here have been looking for for a LONG time. Maybe others have already tried them and posted up, but yours is the first time I've seen good pics.
Good show!

Paul

OP
OP
Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Nothing wrong with what you got. Probably still better than what you had, especially if they were older vintage lamps.
And semi-reasonably priced too. Or, as in your case, VERY reasonably priced! Was that just for the basic model, or did you get the upgrade models sold by the big companies? For some $18 a piece is not out of line. So you paid $9 each?

As you'll hopefully find, or are already finding, the new versions of the old Halogens have whiter colors and seemingly better output. Not to mention (finally!) better beam-patterns too, in some cases. Hopefully yours will fall into that category.
Several threads here about upgraded sealed-beam halogens.

Let us know what you think of them. And if you haven't already made the relay harness upgrade, maybe try them with the original wiring first, then with the upgrade and let us know what a difference it makes.

Paul

I installed the Sylvania halogen sealed beams tonight using the stock wiring. Huge difference over the old incandescent bulbs, appears twice as bright.
I will upgrade the harness ASAP. Does anyone have a good source for Quality three prong plugs with heavy guage pigtails?

Yep only paid $9 bucks apiece. ;D