• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight switch trouble

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got in the bronco to take the kids to school the other day and found I had no headlights, park lights or inst cluster lights. Dome light works tho along with brakes and turn signals. Sounds like a switch went bad, but it feels good. I pulled my panel out and found I have power at the switch, but I'm not sure what should have power and when. I need a pinout on the 73 switch to do a good check before I spend money on it. Anyone have one? I've got a universal harness, and at the moment, I'm not sure where my wiring documentation is or if it would even help. With the pinout, I'm sure I could figure out what's going on quickly. Google is only fanning flames toward big tech at the moment.

Big Slim

i would try using Deoxit D5 contact cleaner on it. my guess is just some oxidation on the contacts. this stuff is the best.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Got this from Tom’s...
e5aa7d318972f5fb94fb3b15a820119d.jpg

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i would try using Deoxit D5 contact cleaner on it. my guess is just some oxidation on the contacts. this stuff is the best.

If it was oxidation, I would expect it on one or two contacts, but not given what it's doing. The only part that works is the part of the switch that has to rotate.

Got this from Tom’s...
e5aa7d318972f5fb94fb3b15a820119d.jpg

I'll give it a look. I searched there, but didn't find it.???

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ll tell ya, it kills me when this happens. I look three times for a fuse for lights, and don’t find it. I find power at the switch, so it can’t be a fuse right? Well, after looking at your pic, I find the power I’m getting is not for headlights. So I look in the fuse box again...

fc4fdd03d3f08b1873a3e0a26c5c4301.jpg

a71753e8a69edfc67f699b1fb16bcbce.jpg

Since I RAN a relay system for headlights with LEDs everywhere, I only had a 5 amp fuse. Then the relays started to fail, so I bypassed it. So we’ll try a 10 amp fuse. The LED headlights only pull 3 amps at start and as they warm up, it falls to 2.5.

That is for the help guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk