• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlights not working with dash bars removed

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
I removed my dash bars to send off for led conversion and now when I turn on my headlight switch all parking lights, gauge cluster lights, and overhead done light work but headlights don't. It's dark and I'm at work so I don't have any wire handy to make some jumpers on the dash bar harnesses to see if that fixes it. Does removing the dash bars cause this?

Guess I'll risk a 15 mile ride home and hope the po po doesn't pull me over.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Shouldn't have any affect on the headlights. Try the dimmer switch.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
Ok. As in, replace the light/dimmer switch? Is it normal that everything else tied to this switch would work except the headlights? Check that. Now my gauge cluster lights quit working.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just click the switch a few times. If you have a voltmeter or test light you can check the wires.

Did you have the dash out? Might be a bad dash ground affecting the cluster lights.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
Haven't had the dash out but I checked under the dash thinking I could have disconnected a wire inadvertently when I pulled the dash light bar nearest the light switch. I found this blue/white wire that looks pretty official but don't see where it belongs. I note that it routes up into the harness on the light switch. Funny thing is that I grounded the blue/white wire on the post on the back of the ignition switch and it turned the radio on without the key in the ignition.
u3ybygyj.jpg

I installed a radio several weeks ago and installed kick panel speaker pods this weekend and moved the high beam switch over but the low and high beams worked until tonight.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok. You made 2 mistakes there. The blue-white wire is 12V for a cigar lighter which you may not have. It get's power from the headlight switch connector. The stud terminal at the back of the ignition switch is not a ground. It is the ACC terminal. You provided 12V to the ACC terminal.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
Tried clicking the switch a few times to no avail. BTW, I do have a lighter but the po ran a new wire straight to the battery with an inline fuse holder.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Look for power to the red-yellow wire at the dimmer connector. No power with headlight switch on means bad headlight switch.

OP
OP
B

Buckeye Rob

Loc.
Hurst, TX
I went out this morning and tried the high beam switch again and after a couple taps the lights are working. Thanks Viper