• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heads, aftermarket / stock

jjwtwice

Loc.
IGH, MN
How many of you out there are running aftermarket heads? What do you like? Ford Racing, Edlebrock, etc.. Do you really think their better than a good set of cast iron ones with a decent rebuild? How about rocker arms, and the rest of the valve train. What are you useing for induction, carb, EFI, etc...

Great to hear what people are doing.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have Edelbrock heads on mine 395 (351W), comp cams roller rockers. By the time you get a set of cast iron heads built up you are very close to cost of aftermarket bolt on.
In my case I started with a short block that didn't have heads..so I would have needed to find good cast iron heads for a starting point. My engine is carbed, 670TA.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I think for a 302, some 69-70 351W heads would work real nice. but those heads are getting scarce.
stock 302 heads (and later 351W heads) are kindof asthmatic IMO

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Have a set of 69' heads on my truck with crane golds, ferrera valves, titanium keepers and dual springs. Alot of money in bronco heads, but got a deal on them. Like some have said aftermarkets are close to the same cost. But watch some of the name brands though, I am going to put a set of generic alum heads on my mustang that are alot cheaper than edelbrock and FRPP and flow aswell or better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't think I will ever use another set of stock heads on a small block ford ever again.

My first engine, 351W, got a set of trickflows. That has been a real happy engine for the past 8+ years.

My last engine is a little too strung for a Bronco, but it sure does run. Had a set of cast iron motorsports built up with Ferra valves, crane springs, scorpian rockers, definatly blew the bank on those. But they sure do breath nice.

Part of the trick is not to go too big for your plans. When you start looking at getting a set of old heads redone back to stock. It isn't that cheap, especially if they need lots of parts. When you are done you still have heads that are little ports and all choked up. By the time you port them out, hope the port job is right and the flows are even. You have manhandled heads. Then the valves are still small, so a new set of valves, and all the other stuff to go with them. The only original part in the heads when you are done is the raw casting. Might as well start with a fresh casting that doesn't need the port work.

As for brands of heads. That will be like asking what kind of carb to run? There is no "perfect" head for all applications.

Now if you are building a bone stock engine, even a stock cam. then stock heads might be a good choice. Any damage or excessive wear to the heads added to the slightest hint of a better then stock running engine, I would be shopping for heads. Good heads can make a small mild cam still breath very well while keeping idle quality very good.

If I had to pick a new set of heads today. Break out the Jeg's or Summit catalogs. Read all the descriptions. Some are deminsionally the same and will use stock length pushrods, others will have all kinds of changes like raised ports. Those will cause fitment issues later. And don't forget that you will need new rocker arms for almost all of the aftermarket heads.

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I installed a set of World Products, Windsor Jr.'s w/ Scorpion R.R.'s on my H.O. Problem is I have not heard it run yet. Still assembling. Another week and we'll see.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
If you dont mind, let me know how those windsor jr's turn out. I have often thought of running them over aluminum one for my car

spin3024

Loc.
Goleta
I ran a set of ported stock heads with larger valves from power heads http://www.powerheads.com/ for a few years on my pro street ranger pickup powered by a 302. They were torquey and provided a significant improvement over the set of 68 302 4V heads I had on the motor previously. After a while I got the bug for aluminum and a little more flow and went with a set of AFR 185s. The improvement was remarkable, and I seriously regreted not spending the extra $400 for the aluminum heads initially. If you go AFR I'd get a set of the 165s. They'd be better suited for the Bronco.

bronco60-niner

Loc.
leavenworth,ks
I've ran trick flow heads (twisted wedge, high port and R series) on the mustangs I've built and currently on my bronco. They are a really good head for all around power and seem to hold up pretty well. I put a set of GT-40 iron heads on my wifes bronco just because I bought them cheap and the engine was all stock otherwise. they seem to be doing good as well.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran a set of ported stock heads with larger valves from power heads http://www.powerheads.com/ for a few years on my pro street ranger pickup powered by a 302. They were torquey and provided a significant improvement over the set of 68 302 4V heads I had on the motor previously. After a while I got the bug for aluminum and a little more flow and went with a set of AFR 185s. The improvement was remarkable, and I seriously regreted not spending the extra $400 for the aluminum heads initially. If you go AFR I'd get a set of the 165s. They'd be better suited for the Bronco.

it was not the aluminum that gave you the improvement it was the afr design the alum just saved you a few pounds. out of all the heads i like the afr numbers the best. the 165s should be sweet. but in the end you will spend alot on stock heads for not much gain if you do anything more than a standard rebuild. i run exhaust ported E7s with a little bowl work and gasket matched porting on the intake.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it was not the aluminum that gave you the improvement it was the afr design the alum just saved you a few pounds. out of all the heads i like the afr numbers the best. the 165s should be sweet. but in the end you will spend alot on stock heads for not much gain if you do anything more than a standard rebuild. i run exhaust ported E7s with a little bowl work and gasket matched porting on the intake.

I've been looking at the AFRs. Do any of the AFRs accept all of the stock components (rockers, manifolds, etc) from a 94 Mustang 5.0 HO? If a guy needs a set af heads anyway does it make sense to spend a few extra bucks and go with the AFRs on a stock rebuild?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you upgrade the cam and add the afrs that 5.0 will wake up. I assuming you are talking about the mustang not a stock 302 rebuild

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if you upgrade the cam and add the afrs that 5.0 will wake up. I assuming you are talking about the mustang not a stock 302 rebuild. also if you read up on the afrs i am pretty sure everything will bolt up.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the world products/rousch are good heads also, they have gone up i guess because of the cost of iron. if i had to build my 5.0 again i probably would go with the world products. i probably have 600 bucks in my e7s including the roller rockers. and to be honest the roller rockers is something i could live without because they change geometry you have to buy different push rods. nothing wrong with a stock rockers and a flat tappet cam if you break them in right

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
without a cam swap you will still gain power with the afr165 head over any stock 302 head.

out of the box i am not a fan of the windsor jr or sr heads on a 302. they both have large intake ports and only so so flow. unlike the afr165 which has a relitively small intake port and great flow.

on a stock 302 with no other changes i would do 1. afr165's 2. trickflow tw 3. edelbrock performer

afr165 for pedestal mount rocker arms can reuse all stock pieces.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've been looking at the AFRs. Do any of the AFRs accept all of the stock components (rockers, manifolds, etc) from a 94 Mustang 5.0 HO? If a guy needs a set af heads anyway does it make sense to spend a few extra bucks and go with the AFRs on a stock rebuild?

While I dont know about the AFR's accepting stock components If you buy a good set of heads I'd get away from the stock pedastel rockers while they work having adjustability helps especailly down the road if you decide to build a better engine but if your doing a stock rebuild I'd just put stock heads on it maybe search for some cast iron GT40 heads.

I run TFS heads on my 302 great improvement over my messed up stockers. They are probably a little big for a bronco but they were the right price at the time been good to me for 10 years and will be perfect for a future 351W upgrade. I recently picked up a set of cast iron windsor Jr heads I think these will be a hot ticket for a warmed up or stock 302.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am running the Winsor Jr's on my Stang's 351, with Crane roller tip rockers. It runs great.. Main reason for running aftermarket heads was cost of having old heads, crack checked, new bronze guides, hardened seats, new valves, etc etc.. then you are out about the same $$... but with the aftermarket heads you get the added flow characteristics of the better design...

Just my $.02.. I like the W Jr's, AFR's, Holley, Edlebrock, and the Ford racing heads..

ak68

I'm running edlebrock RPM heads and comp cams roller rockers on my 393w. I'm running EFI and injectors and CPU from a 93 cobra.

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm running the World cast iron (W Jr.) on my 347 and am very happy with them for the price. I'm sure there are other better flowing options out there, but for the money I'm happy with the World's and would do them again. I prefer cast iron, but there's definitely a bling factor with alum.