• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

heads question

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
the 69 windsor heads for sale on here,how would they do on a 302?if the work will i have to do any other mods

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bdrake1 said:
the 69 windsor heads for sale on here,how would they do on a 302?if the work will i have to do any other mods
The C9 351W heads are (or were..I'm old as dirt) a popular way to add some pep to a 289/302 engine by gaining larger valves while still keeping chamber size smallish. . ARP makes the bolt/spacer kit you would need to mount them on the 302 if you do not want to drill and tap the head bolt holes in yr block to resize them.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
like bmc said they will work with the adapter head bolts or ford racing makes a set also isn't there a company out there that sells modified e7 heads (or some take off on an e7) for about 5 or 6 six hundred the 351 heads still need a little exhaust port work powerhouse sells a new set for 685.00 http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2935 if you live close and can pick them up locally you will be okay but if you have to ship those heavy dudes the deal goes way down

OP
OP
B

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
fordguy said:
like bmc said they will work with the adapter head bolts or ford racing makes a set also isn't there a company out there that sells modified e7 heads (or some take off on an e7) for about 5 or 6 six hundred the 351 heads still need a little exhaust port work powerhouse sells a new set for 685.00 http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2935 if you live close and can pick them up locally you will be okay but if you have to ship those heavy dudes the deal goes way down
i was just wondering about the heads for sale 250.00 is a good price right.i am tring to do some mods for as little as possible.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i saw the ones for 300 but they are in NH where are the ones for 250 located

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
One thing about old heads (usually any Ford head made before 74) they should have hardened exhaust valve seats installed since todays gas has no lead the unhardened seats will wear faster. You can get step washers to use the stock 7/16 bolts on the 351 heads any speed shop can get them. Depending on the year of your 302 you can either gain or loose a small amount of compression but not enough to really make any differance. Find the cheapest set you can because once you get them you'll probably have to spend some $$ to rebuild them

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
broncnaz said:
One thing about old heads (usually any Ford head made before 74) they should have hardened exhaust valve seats installed since todays gas has no lead the unhardened seats will wear faster.

Good catch..forgot to mention that very important point and I'm right in the middle of doing exactly that very upgrade to a set of Aussie 351C-2V heads for another guy on this forum. You would think I would have mentioned that little (somewhat expensive) detail...%)

And, yes, you can use the spacer washers alone, which is the cheapest option and usually fine..but I do not like to re-use stock head bolts and so always get the complete ARP bolt kits in any event.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and after you add the head bolts and new seats and shipping you now have about 500 dollars in a set of old heads not trying to rain on your parade just being realistic i turned down a pair of e7s for a hundred dollars this weekend because by the time i have them machined etc i could purchase new much better flowing heads for a little more money

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Old heads that are too good to be true...usually are just that. I've got D0VE (1970) heads on my 351W so I bothered to put some money into them because they are worth some money but if I didn't already have them, it would've been not much more money to step up to a better performing aftermarket head.

By the time you install hard seats, replace anything that needs to be replaced, buy an ARP head bolt kit, valve jobs, guides, decide you want screw-in studs, roller rockers...all I know is that if/when I ever sell mine, somebody is going to end up with some really nice heads. ;D

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I looked at the same thing whe I was wanting to do a top-end rebuild. By the time all was said & done, used heads completely rebuilt & prepped were only a couple hundred less than brand new Edelbrock Performers. I bit the bullet & went with the Edelbrocks & love them. Another rationalizatoin that worked for me was: the machine shop I was working with needed 7-10 days to do the used heads, or I could get the shiny aluminum Performers from Summit in 2 days. Now I'm looking at the Ford 351W crate motors and I'll likely swap the stock heads out for the Edelbrocks on it too.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dan's73 said:
I looked at the same thing whe I was wanting to do a top-end rebuild. By the time all was said & done, used heads completely rebuilt & prepped were only a couple hundred less than brand new Edelbrock Performers. I bit the bullet & went with the Edelbrocks & love them. Another rationalizatoin that worked for me was: the machine shop I was working with needed 7-10 days to do the used heads, or I could get the shiny aluminum Performers from Summit in 2 days. Now I'm looking at the Ford 351W crate motors and I'll likely swap the stock heads out for the Edelbrocks on it too.

..exactly. That's why all the things we used to do back in the day are now often 'old school' solutions that do not make much sense any more. There was not the range of competing aftermarket options so we had to use/modify what Detroit put out for the most part when it came to blocks and heads.

I still build up a lot of our HP motors the 'old fashioned way' because a) I know how after 30 years of doing it, b) the castings are laying around the shop in piles and c) we have our own machine shop for all the mods and other work. Were I to put a price on what I have in a worked up set of cast iron heads with big valves and all the bowl and porting work..whoowee..
..guess that is why I seldom sell any outside of our own team.;D