• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat Capacity of Tranny Fluid

flousberg

I am sure someone on here knows the heat capacity of tranny fluid. I am sizing the cooler for my 4R70W and I know the flow rate is 1gpm, and I am using the worst case temps, 220 to 150°F. All I need now is the heat capacity. Don't really feel like trial and error on this.

Thanks

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Heat Capacity is Density x Specific Heat.
Per the table in the back of my Thermo book:
Density of unused motor oil (closest I can get to tranny fluid) @ 100 *C is 840 kg/m^3.
Specific heat of the same is 2219 J/kg-*C

A little quick math puts the Heat capacity at 1864 J/cc-*C.
Somebody double check my conversions.

I can do more unit conversion if you need it........

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

I meant specific heat capacity. In energy/mass*temp. Actual heat capacity is energy/temp. I need it for Tranny fluid. I believe it is quite different then motor oil? My understanding is it is a very pure mineral oil. Maybe I will use that.

Is your numbers from Dewitt Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
My Source:
Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
Dr. Yunus Cengel
University of Nevada, Reno
Irwin/McGraw-Hill 1997

On the table A-18 page 876 there is a soucre defined as:
Heat and Mass Transfer
Frank M. White
Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA 1988, pp. 677-688 and 692-694

Multiply Heat Capacity times your volume and the volume drops out leaving you with energy/temp.

Here's another (in English units this time):
Light oil @ 225*F
Density = 53.5 pounds mass/ ft^3
Specific Heat = 0.515 BTU /lbm-*F
Calculated Heat Capacity = 27.55 BTU/ft^3-*F

So multiply that number by your volume (in cu ft) and you get the units you want: Energy / Temp = BTU / *F

Sound right? or am I way off somewhere?

Handy Calculator

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
hydraulic fluid is closer than motor oil, but all you really need is the API gravity. Specific heat capacity is pretty much linear in relation to temperature. I have a nomograph that will give an estimate but in that temperature it will range from .45 to .55 BTU/(LB)(DEG F) dependant upon the actual API gravity.

Why are you trying to run such a tight delta T with such a low leaving fluid temperature? 220 to 150 may reaquire an unnecessarily large exchanger.

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

B&M has tranny coolers listed in BTU/hr. If I want my tranny fluid to run at 180 then what temperature does it come back from the cooler, 140? 150?. Is a 40°F drop realistic?

so, 1 gal/min / 7.481gal/ft3 X 60min/hr X 54 lbs/ft3 X 0.5 Btu/lb°F X 40 = 8,674 btu/hr.

200-140~13,000 BTU/hr

So they have 9,800 Btu/hr up to 14,000 Btu/hr. I am not sure how they rate these because it will depend on the cooling fluid temperature and mass flow? Anyway, I need an exchange with a rated duty of say 14,000 worst case.

The 14,000 Btu/hr is 11" long by 5-3/4" wide. So if I assume crawling in the mountains with a summer temperature of 85°F and an altitude of 10,000 ft then the density of air is 0.052 lbs/ft3. The Cp of air is 0.26 Btu/lb °F. Surface area is .44ft2, assume a velocity of 30 mph or 158,400 fphr, the volumetric flow rate is 69,696 cfh. Mass flow rate is 3,624 lbs/hr. Then the temperature differential would have to be 15°F.

I don't know if this is realistic and I am finding out that the cooler manufacturers do not provide enough information to actually do a educated sizing for the cooler. So, I guess I will go with the largest one I can fit in front of the radiator. %)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I am really sorry. You are fine for some reason I thought you were talking about power steering fluid. I don't know why, I read transmission but power steering clicked.

You probably want to keep the transmission under 250 so that you have some safety factor. If you do a lot of crawling you might just want to really oversize it. Like 2X. You can spend a lot of money on an automatic transmission and the most common reason for failure is heat.

BS in Chemical Engineering and I still can't read. :) sorry.

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

Where did you go to school? I graduated in '98 from Colorado School of Mines. It is a good time to be a Chem. Eng.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I need to sobor up a little efore I try looking at those equasions.

Simple answer, get the biggest cooler you cna get.