• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat shield ideas

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I have read several threads and did some online searches but did not see too many using the clamp on heat shields or blankets.

It is ten million degrees in Phoenix right now and no insulation so third degree burns while driving are not acceptable!

I am just getting around to planning this out and trying to keep it clean. I don't want to put anything on the floor interior so I am looking at shield options.

I saw the DEI on Summit and also these clamp on style or blankets and was wondering who if anyone was using them and what there opinion is.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...afnbbMW38F9mnbB2ZY-gUUgAE_dgEbjMaApMIEALw_wcB

https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/clamp-on-heat-shield

https://www.koolmat.com/heat-resistant-products/exhaust-heat-shield/

nickgp

Bronco Guru
From what I’ve been reading on heat wraps, it works on race cars but supposedly promotes rot on regularly driven vehicles. Trapping moisture causing rust. I’m more inclined to do heat shields.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Somewhere, maybe on here?, I read about somebody adding heat shield between exhaust and floor bottom. They claimed it really helped and since mine also gets hot inside I've always kept that in mind. Wish I had the source right now.

Jon67sport

Loc.
Boozy Creek, VA
There are insulated cockpit floor mats used in racing to keep the driver from burning their feet. Some have magnets to secure them to the floorboard. They can be easily removed when not needed or when cleaning your Bronco. Most also protect against heat from the trans tunnel.

RonJones

Here’s what I did over a BC Broncos header system. 10-32 tapped holes to secure .050 aluminum.

Attachments

• E1C52230-EC84-4A9A-942E-77475041EA33.jpeg
    E1C52230-EC84-4A9A-942E-77475041EA33.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 200

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Living with a Bronco in Phoenix (as my only 4-wheeld vehicle for a couple of years) the best thing I ever did was drop in a carpet kit.

Don't try and keep the sheetmetal cool, won't work. Insulate yourself from the sheetmetal. About a month ago I was doing some towing in a company truck. I was comfy inside. All the metal on the whole truck was heat soaked. The heat soak was so bad you couldn't touch the trailer hitch when I got to work. The heat soaked the frame rails and the hitch. I've had this before towing my boat. Get home late at night and all the metal is too hot to touch, and it isn't sun load because I was at home around midnight.

You are not going to keep the metal cool. just keep yourself isolated from the metal.

1970 Palmer

I agree with using heat sheilds. It's not good to use the wrap on a street driven vehicle. I cannot speak highly enough for the benifits of having the exhaust system ceramic coated. It really cuts down on the header heat was my experience on a hot rod.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's it bigmuddy, Thanks! Here is the part that stuck with me -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When I did my suspension build in '17 I put alum sheets spaced 1/2" off the firewall and the floor. This ONE change did more than ALL the others combined... almost unbelievable difference.

Multiple readings on the console and passenger floor...temps were from 148- 149 deg F on a 100 deg day prior to installing the alum spacers after a 10 to 30 minute drive.

After putting alum sheets on the firewall from the top of the heads down and underneath the floor pans to behind the seats -- the console and floor pan temps dropped to 102 deg F on a similar 100 deg F day after driving around for 40 minutes... this is with the dual mufflers mounted directly under the seats.

Put all the liners and coatings and dynomat and carpet ya want on...but the best thing is to have a heat shield barrier with a small air gap.

My buddy did this to his Bronco in the mid '80's and I just didn't want to go thru the hassle of trying it...well, I could have saved myself 30 yrs of broiling to death !!!"

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used ceramic coated headers, I will not say they are cool, but they are definitely cooler than cast iron by a lot.

I have 2 inch BL, a great help giving distance for airflow and dropping transmission of heat.

I used your first one to wrap muffler, which is huge, to big really.

I used your second one around D20 pipe and on pipe by gas tank.

I used header wrap on exhaust pipe from motor to tailpipe tip extention.

I can touch exhaust when motor is running. Not hold, touch.

I sprayed in liner inside and in the engine bay.

Without carpet I do not notice heat coming through behind firewall. I used WH firewall insulation, and dynamatt or racket jacket in other location for noise. I had dynapad down but that stuff was 3/4 thick and could not get good fit with carpet and seats, pulled it out.

I am using ACCmatts fitted carpet with matt backing, fits like a glove, pricey, worth every penny seeing as I went through three other versions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My experience was different. The heat shields didn't make any noticeable difference, only the carpet kit did.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'll chip in ARED77 :) ... the heat shields work great. IF you leave an air gap any potential heat that would/could be transferred from the shield to the body of the Bronco is moved with the air that moves between the two. It works... let me tell ya it works! :)

If it didn't, the new car manufacturers wouldn't be putting heat shields between catalytic converters, mufflers, etc and the undercarraige of the cars.

I've got temp readings of 147deg F floorboards before using heat shields and it dropped the temps on the same route, starting off cold, on a day with the temp within 1 deg of the other tested day - in other words the parameters were almost identical and it made a monumental difference in floor board temps- like down to 8 degrees above ambient air temp.

I can't remember where the article was but with 600HP under the hood the amount of heat generated with dual 3" exhaust tucked under a Bronco is amazing...this works!! HEAT shields from the firewall down to past the mufflers... a difference so great you wish you'd done it decades ago. Wish I had! :)

I tried insulation and carpet back in the '80's and gave up. It would get so hot the carpet would start to smell. 150deg F is HOT!!! I put out more heat now than back then because my "furnace" is about 350HP bigger. So w/o wrapping the headers and pipes all the way back and replacing them every couple years due to acclerated rusting under the wrap I had no choice but to try heat shields.

We use sheet metal around wood stoves also. Doesn't look cool but for a shop you can put sheetmetal within 6" of your shop woodstove and on the backside of that sheetmetal (1/2" away) you won't feel ANY heat... the radiant heat from the wood stove hits that sheet metal and goes straight UP. Try it. I have sheetmetal around my double barrel wood stove in my shop. My fire marshall told me about using it. NO heat sink properties like brick or other backstops.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad Brian chimed in with his heat shield experience. I was going to suggest the same thing although I haven't personally tried it on my truck yet. I know lars on this board did the same thing with his truck a few years back and he said the difference is remarkable. I believe Jonathan Ward at ICON does the same thing with his builds.

I always look at what the OEMs do on things and if you crawl around a modern car, it's obvious they believe in heat shields too. I crawl under my wife's Honda Pilot while doing oil changes and get distracted looking at all the shielding sometimes - the curse of being an engineer, I guess.

Nick - that's what I'd do if I were along with some strategic wrapping that Steve83 and others suggest.

Todd Z.

ArmyCOL

Somewhere, maybe on here?, I read about somebody adding heat shield between exhaust and floor bottom. They claimed it really helped and since mine also gets hot inside I've always kept that in mind. Wish I had the source right now.

If I remember correctly, mine had a heat shield installed. I can remember someone asking about it when I took the body off. Don't know if it was a factory install or not. Passenger side, 2-3 feet long, attached to the frame. Can't find the picture right now.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That was me "armycol".

I'll find the pages on my build thread that deal with it.

Found the pg and post #'s. Post # 153, pg 11. Beginning of my simple yet so effective heat shields.

Sure is a ton more options on the market now for shielding!! Thanks for posting up those links guys- appreciated.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278607&page=11

Last edited: