• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater Question

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
It is that time of year again. When I rebuilt my 302 I also rebuilt the heater. I put in a new core, new heat control valve, and all new seals. I also disconnected the fresh air intake. Now all I get is cold air out of the heater. With the engine temperature at 190* I stuck a thermocouple into the core. It is not even warm. The hoses also are not hot. It would appear that water is not flowing through the heater core. Is it neccesary to bleed air out of the core? If so, where is the best place to do it? Any other thoughts?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Yep you have a "air lock" in the system. Your manual should tell you how to get it out. This is how I do it.
Park truck on hill or something so the nose is up in the air.
remove radiator cap ensuring coolant is full.
Open all contols to heater especially the heater valve control valve
Start motor and idle it up a bit.
watch fluid level at top up as needed. It will "burp" very obviously as the air comes out.
Keep fluid full and run motor for a least 15 miniutes.
Should fix that up, if not look at the thermostat or water pump
TOFIC

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
When I first got mine it did the same thing. I stuck the end of a cut off garden hose on one of the heater inlets, turned the water on and pushed out a foot a garbage in the core. Worked fine after that. Do the chevy motor upgrade too, it flat gets it done