• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

heavy duty

silverfox

Loc.
Mocksville N.C.
Hello all, new to the forum and a great one at that! I just got my first eb;D , a 1972 model and was reading about tracking down vin #'s. I did find out that it had the heavy duty option and was wondering what differerentiated the HD from a standard... Ive already learned a ton of stuff by reading the past few months, thanks again to all who post and share their know how....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/spoonriver/100_0776.jpg

widowmaker77

Contributor
I believe the only difference is rear axle bearings might be some difference in springs but not sure about that.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
That is a great looking stock Bronco. Welcome to the addiction.

OP
OP
S

silverfox

Loc.
Mocksville N.C.
Thanks for the info and comments. I dont have alot of picts yet but plan on taking some as I due some general maint. and upgrades. Its in O.K. shape, a little rust here and there underneath, bone stock everything. Not near as nice as some of the picts Ive seen on here but I enjoy seeing the pictures. It gives me ideas of what I'd like to do. 20 years ago I learned to drive and work on a 76 mercury comet GT "dont laugh", so my 302 skills are fuzzy at best. As for now I'm putting some new brakes on and fixing what leaks. Just trying to become more familiar with it. Theres a ton of good tips on here and I'll probably post some questions in the future....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/spoonriver/100_0773.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
HD bronco
6 leaf rear spring packs instead of 5
Big bearing axle housing
11" rear brakes instead of 10"
Higher vehicle and rear axle weight ratings.

Gear upgrades were not required, Posi not required, I don't think anything else came with the HD package. Maybe a battery or radiator?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Whar Broncbowsher said.
1280 lb rear springs, 3300 lb rear axle should have L/S also, HD shocks, G78X15 tires, HD Radiator, battery, and 55 amp alternator were also part of the package although I've never really seen any differance between the radiators of a stock bronco and one with the HD package. I think the front springs were also slightly heavier to but have found no solid info on that might have just been in the later years

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice rig, Congrats on your first, looks like a good one to start with and Welcome to the addiction.