• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI dist install

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
Any ideas to keep the dist from hitting the heater core fitting? can it moved to the themostate housing?

DSCF0985.jpg

Last edited:

markperry

Bronco Guru
Pull the Dizzy out and stab back counterclockwise a few clicks.....then where the rotor is pointing use that for number one cylinder!

Or is the housing preventing the Dizzy from going all the way down?

barronj

Bronco Guru
I could be misinterpreting things (as is the case after the sun drops on the weekends, and the barley water has been flowing), but I don't think the distributor can be moved to alleviate the situation.

As I see it, you have three choices-

A- clock the heater core outlet just enough to get the flat side of the housing facing the dist, instead of the point between two sides. (like it appears to be, currently)

B- and more involved, relocate your heater source to either the base of the water neck or move it back by cyl # 4. One of the tricks used in overheating solutions is to have a cross-over pipe bridging the coolant flow from 4 to 8, so that could just as easily be the source for your heater line.

C- more ghetto- take the distributor out, stuff a rag in the hole, and use a grinder to give you the 1/32" of clearance you need to make it work. You only need enough to get your cap on, right? Or is it preventing the distributor from seating properly?

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
the cap will not fit on as is. I had the thought of turning the fitting to a flat spot for more clearance. I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks
Jeff

barronj

Bronco Guru
I'm guessing, by the replies, that the HEI design has the base slightly offset from the center... that, or it's not exactly round.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Neither barron, it's just a larger sized dizzy. It's basically a GM dizzy with the bottom end made to fit a Ford. The cap is ~5'' wide in comparison to the normal ~3'' Ford cap. The HEI cap often causes issues with some air filters as well.

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
You could possibly change out the fitting for one with a 45* angle. Should be easy to find at any hardware store.

Thats a good idea. thanks

i think when i had it in mine i did a combo of both by putting it a few teeth over and getting a diffrent elbow for the watre deal. here is a link to my gallery i hop you see how i have mine set up

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/sho...6/ppuser/20321

Cool, any idea what wires you used. I'll need the ones with the 90 at the dist.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
if i remember right i ran one from ground BAttery and one to the key on ignition under the dash. cant say what color wires as i put in a whole new harness since then an dit aint stock to say the lease.

but it should be easy to run new wires if you dont have the stock available to you.

chase8266

Loc.
vegas/slc/medford,OR
did i miss something here?
you only need a power wire for the hei not a ground,your old ignition coil wire will do.you can get the hei connectors at most auto parts stores

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
if i remember right i ran one from ground BAttery and one to the key on ignition under the dash. cant say what color wires as i put in a whole new harness since then an dit aint stock to say the lease.

but it should be easy to run new wires if you dont have the stock available to you.

Sorry, I meant spark plug wires.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
oh um i used the Accel 8mm plug wires. jusy look for the ones that woek with the HEI dizzy. also they have the 45 degree angle boot that is on the top of the dizzy so it wont hit the hood.

since you are using this dizzy you can gap your plugs a little bigget they say 45 to 50 thousands but i thik i went with 40-45.

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
Well I attempted to twist the heater hose fitting and it snapped off. :cry: I tried to use a hammer and chisel but its to soft. I may try torch and a drill.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
ah crap. you mean that it snapped off in the intake manifold? and you cant get it out?

OP
OP
73EB

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
No, I tried today to use an easy out but its tight. I also tried a hammer and chisel. I guess I need to know how long that fitting goes down. It looks like mine has a sleeve that goes way down?????? I really don't want to pull the intake man but I may have too. Anybody have a stock 302 intake they can take a look at or pic? thanks

NYLES

Bronco Guru
you pulled thremostat and looked in there?

I sent you a PM too!