• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heim Joints

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
Were is the best cheapest place to get good quality heim joints I need some for my steering I have 2 heavy duty joints I bought years ago.. but I need more for the drag Link

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I got mine from the heavy machinery supply house. These places have the parts for excavators and backhoes and such so the Heims they have are really heavy duty.
My 3/4's cost about 100 apiece so be ready for a shock.
TOFIC

VT_Don

re: "Were is the best cheapest place to get good quality heim joints I need some for my steering"

After cobbling together some Rube Goldberg contraption to steer, you better up your liability coverage, if you can find anyone naive enough to sell you insurance. Rethink the reasonability you have sharing public roads, as you're putting everyone you encounter at risk.

As a driveline design engineer, I've been solicited to give testimony in such a case. The grounds for profound and utter negligence are overwhelming. Juries have no sympathy for buffoons.

There are some excellent products available from the sponsors that support this site. As mentioned before, if you can't afford make modifications properly, consider looking into another hobby.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
re: "Were is the best cheapest place to get good quality heim joints I need some for my steering"

After cobbling together some Rube Goldberg contraption to steer, you better up your liability coverage, if you can find anyone naive enough to sell you insurance. Rethink the reasonability you have sharing public roads, as you're putting everyone you encounter at risk.

As a driveline design engineer, I've been solicited to give testimony in such a case. The grounds for profound and utter negligence are overwhelming. Juries have no sympathy for buffoons.

There are some excellent products available from the sponsors that support this site. As mentioned before, if you can't afford make modifications properly, consider looking into another hobby.

Agreed! Anyone heating & bending, welding, and fabing their own steering components probably havn't heard of Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Teams (MAIT). If there is a serious accident they will pick your vehicle apart and find anything non DOT. The only reason people think it's ok is they havn't beeen caught. Also If your non DOT vehicle is the cause of the accident, your insurance doesn't have to cover it.

OP
OP
HOJO

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
VT DON,

Wow again You insult me and my intelligence and abilities. As well as everyone on this site that has heim joints for steering systems ...I digress that I am a mechanical engineer and fully understand the concept and responsibility of my actions as well as my ability to decide what is fitting for me and my purposes...Again I would reccommend that you surf pirate since they love to just do nothing but put off on anyone who asks any questions what so ever. I dont understand why given that you have never met me or talked to me in person you insist on busting my balls all the time ...I have been wheeling and building rigs for 20 years and Just because you were born into this world fully intellegent and since you have never had to ask a question or learn anything... why dont you find a hole to crawl in leave us uneducated baffoons and morons to ask a few questions...further more f$%k off...

OP
OP
HOJO

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
and After I cobble together some Rube Goldberg contraption to steer with hopefully you will be passing me on the road for my first test drive....Besides did you bother to ask if I was going to drive the particular vehicle I was putting heim joints on for steering on the road or if it was a purpose built offroad only rig....???? maby you should ask a question before insulting people

Action

??????

Not really sure why people have there panties in a bunch. Seems to me the guy is just trying to get "QUALITY" Heims at a good price-Best he can find. As far as DOT not to much on most Broncos have DOT anything so good luck with that 1.
Jack

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have had a personal experience with MAIT. We had a serious accident. The vehicle was impounded, the steering, suspention, tires, and brakes were removed and analyzed for a report. You may never realize your responsibility to maintain DOT parts until this happens. Even the heim steering systems available from the vendors come with this disclaimer. Your liability is huge, especially if you are an engineer and put your approval on it.

VT_Don

Amen Blubuckaroo. Amazing how many contributors here with absolutely no first hand experience volunteer erroneous information. Further surprising that when someone like yourself is generous enough to share such experience, some fool chooses to debate it.

Perhaps when someone's ideas are chastised on another 4WD form then comes here and receives further condemnation, they should reflect on the reason they're receiving flak wherever they post.

OP
OP
HOJO

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
To be frank about it Id say 90 percent of broncos on the road or any modified off road vehicle would not meet most dot standards..Take suspension systems.... most states laws read no suspension modification ..which would means a lift kit of any kind save a body lift would be in violation.. so whats the point .the point is you all have nothing to do but bust someones chops over a simple question .....the end and I didnt say I was going to put my seal of approval on it I didnt say what I was doing at all ... you may be a drive shaft designer or what ever but that doesnt mean everyone on the freeking planet is a an IDIOT ..so let me sum it up for you F^&k off...LOL

Almost everyone here is so helpful and nice and goes above and beyond to help you out and answer questions and find things and then there are a cople that have to be difficult and ruin it for someone trying to get a simple suggestion or answer..its a shame ....a real shame ......

PS No the joints are for a buggie I am working on is for trailer hauling and off road use only and since most public ohv parks require insurance and tags ..no public roads ....not that is anyones business .....
PPs this fool never posted to pirate what so ever due to lack of good info with out flaming all the time whats your problem...I am not a fool I was stating that your bashing of everything was like that on pirate so go there and be unhelpful ....leave the nice bronco brotherhood here to answer questions and help people out....

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
I think I have all DOT parts, but 90% of it is not stock.
I don't see how a part can be DOT approved for ANY vehicle
(or I could use sammy tie rods on a 1 ton, right??).

So with that said, I recently sent Hagarty a comprehensive list of every mod/upgrade/replacement part and it's cost (mostly to justify my request for $10K value). They promptly sent me a policy.

I think what is being said is that they will not honor that policy, even though they knew exactly what is in/on my bronc already ??

Previous thread on this..........

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159145