• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hello Everyone

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Hi I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the site. I just recently purchased a '76 with a 302 and a manual tranny. It also has a snow plow (for sale) and an extra set of front seats for some reason (also for sale).

It still runs, and sounds wonderful. It needs a lot of body work (as expected for $800) and some cleaning up, but has a lot of potential. I plan on turning it into just a fun truck to drive, with door cutouts, and a rollcage (for now). My gf is talking me into keeping it pretty stock - but we'll see. It's got the original brown exterior color, and a dark brown interior - I think.

I need to get the Haynes or Chilton manual, but I was just wondering a few things - is there some secret to taking the top off? I was attempting to remove the rear bolts, and they seemed to simply spin, and not back out of the hole. Also, is there something on the front above the windshield that needs to be removed?

My other question is - is there any recommended upgrades for the engine (or anywhere else for that matter) that I should consider as a first step? Like an ignition upgrade or something like that?

I already own an 88' Bronco and love it, and that is my real ORV and I want this one to be more of a street vehicle than anything else - but plans always change ;D

Thanks for the info guys and hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
WELCOME, WELCOME & Congrats on your purchase... WISE Decision... ;D

Get a couple helpers taking the top off, WD40 the bolts if it's not been off in a LONG time.. You have to hold underneath nut to keep top from spinning..

PS, don't forget to scroll to bottom of page & vote for us, Top 4x4 site.. ;)

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Welcome to the board. As for a first engine upgrade, come join the dark side and stuff a 400 in there! ;D

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
Welcome to another member with an EB and an FSB. Where are you located 'cause I want a plow!?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Welcome, where are you located? it is a great site with a lot of cool people and endless knowledge

OP
OP
PolarrrBearrr

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Thanks for the welcomes all.

I am located in New Jersey, and I'm really not looking to ship a plow. But if you are nearby, feel free to to make me an offer and come get it. I'm near the shore, and we barely get enough snow for me to even bother with a shovel most winters.

Of course, as soon as I get the plow gone it'll snow three feet.

The only issue with the plow is that someone felt it neccesary to weld it to the frame. It should be easy to cut off, I just need to go and get a spot weld cutter since the welded through the bolt holes on the outsides of the brackets. %)

I'm guessing that I need to remove the inside panels in the rear of the truck to hold the bottom of the bolts for the top, or do I need to hold it through the top of the wheel well?

I'll try and post some pics today. I'm going to attempt to remove the snow plow harness but I need to go and get that cutter first.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Welcome and Congrats!

Do a full tune up so you are starting fresh. By full tune up I mean the following:

Oil & Filter Change; Coolant Flush; Brake Fluid Flush; Drain and refill axles; new spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor; grease and lubricate everything.

Now you are ready to start driving.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Welcome to the family / addiction! You'll find lots of help and lots of great people here!

Definitely do a tune-up. Run some good gas through it, maybe with some fuel system cleaner. Rebuilding the carb isn't hard and might help alot.

First upgrade I did was adding disc brakes, which is an amazing difference. The best upgrade???? HOOD SHOCKS!!!!

Post some pics!!!

JiM

hudson's74

Loc.
Port Gibson, Ms.
Don't be like my friend who got his 69 f100 oil change at quick lube he said they lubed everything under it and when he left to merge into traffic he almost wrecked he said the steering just flew around when he turned it.

Ohh Welcome aboard!!!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm guessing that I need to remove the inside panels in the rear of the truck to hold the bottom of the bolts for the top, or do I need to hold it through the top of the wheel well?

First, Welcome to the world of Early Broncos. Good to have another East Coaster on the site.

To answer your question, yes you need to remove the inner panels to get at the nuts. I am guessing maybe you have a Ranger if you have interior trim panels in the rear? Does the brown interior have a hounds tooth insert?

As far as upgrades, the sky is the limit. I would suggest fixing it up as is and getting it reliably drivable and enjoy the summer before you start any serious upgrades. That will give you time to see what you like or don't like and allow you to prioritize what you want to do to it. A good simple engine upgrade is Pertronix ignition. If it's still got the 2100 carb then you might want to just rebuild it. The 2100 is a good carb. Then headers and a good exhaust system - do a search on "super single".

I also suggest joining MEB and participating in some of our events this summer and fall. You'll see lots of different Broncos from stock to street rods to all levels of trail rigs.

But anyway, good luck with your Bronco and your build! :)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
welcome, what color would this truck be? I just sold one last year that sounds kinda like yours.....

OP
OP
PolarrrBearrr

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
OK everyone, I created a gallery for my images. There are pictures of both the 88' and the '76.

There isn't a whole lot being done with the '76 just yet. I took the door off, and removed the back seat (which wasn't bolted in) and pulled the extra two front seats. Everything was a little moist and had a moldy smell, as well as cow smell (you can figure out what type of guy I got it from) so I am trying to let it air out a little. I also removed the spare tire carrier (which had a gas tank carrier welded to where the tire should have been) only because I need to be able to leave the tailgate open, and walk around the truck while it's in the garage.

BTW if you are interested in the seats, they are in really good condition (only a small tear in one of the seats) and a little dirty and moldy, but easily cleaned up.

As for it being a Ranger, I don't think they are stock panels in the back. They look like painted fiberboard or something, and they appear to be there just for holding a 6x9 speaker. There is a metal insert in the doors, and not the houndstooth. Then again, I have no idea what is original and what is not.

The truck ( and it came out pretty well in the pics) is the... I was going to say UPS brown, but it's more of a rootbeer color. Yeah, I like the sound of that better. It's a root beer color, with a white top. Inside might be white on the dash, or a light tan, I'm not sure. There's a lot of dirt in there.

I plan on doing the fluid and filter changes, and tuning the engine, but the bigger issue is that the clutch is shot and needs replacing. I also have a funny feeling that the PO ruined the locking hubs - he moved the truck with a skid loader before I went to pick it up, and I unlocked the hubs when I got there - there may or may not be damage.

What I can guarantee is that it won't be in the road this summer. But that is why the softtop is on the '88.

Anyway, that is the skinny on the '76. It was bought for $800 from a gentleman who never drove or registered it. He bought it from a guy who used it only to plow.

And now it's mine. MUWAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Sorry, but I love my '88 and I've always wanted an EB!

Oh, if anyone needs a plow, and has a welder they don't need (prefferably a gasless MIG for body work) I'd be willing to trade %)

Oh, and I never EVER go to QuickLube or anything like that. I took the 88' once, and they broke my oil plug, and shorted me a quart!

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Oh, if anyone needs a plow, and has a welder they don't need (prefferably a gasless MIG for body work) I'd be willing to trade %)

First of all, welcome to the sickness. If you have a spouse or a girlfriend, you should warn her of things to come. Long nights in the garage, consistently dirty laundry and random trips to the emergency room (my recommendation is to go ahead and get your tetanis booster) are just a few of the problem areas. She will most likely start to refer to the Bronco as the "other woman". But, you wont wanna trade it all for anything in the world.

Secondly, dont skimp on the welder. Go ahead and get the MIG...it'll be money well spent. Flux core welding just makes a huge mess when doin body work.

OP
OP
PolarrrBearrr

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Surprisingly, the gf is into it, and willing to help me do the work. Though, she feels that the '76 is a "her size Bronco". She has the strange notion that I will let her drive it. Not only that, but that we can go offroad together, her in '76 and I in '88.

As to referring to it as the other woman, I name my vehicles a la Gone in 60 Seconds, and they are Janet ('76) Charlene ('88) and my 84' Camaro is Sarah.

So as far as she is concerned I've got 4 girls to play with it.

As for the welder, yeah, I guess you're right. I still need one though, and don't have the coin for it right now.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Welcome to the board. I just looked at your gallery and it seems you got a good deal for $800. Take your time on deciding which way to go on upgrading.