• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help a novice EFI guy with the self test

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Ok, I think I still need to do a test with the STO, but I'm getting tangled here.

I did the first test with the STI (connected it to the neg battery terminal). I got this (I'll add up my CHECK ENGINE blinks below):

4 pause 1 pause 1 pause 2 pause 9 pause 1 pause 1 pause 2 pause 9 pause 1 pause

I also believe that first or second one (I think it was the first) was really a rapid flash. Any help would be most appreciated. I think I've decided to keep this motor :) What the hell...we'll eat mac and cheese for a month or two. Time to learn something new.

But I think I need to do a second test with STO with the motor not running. I'm getting confused here.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
72_EB said:
Ok, I think I still need to do a test with the STO, but I'm getting tangled here.

I did the first test with the STI (connected it to the neg battery terminal). I got this (I'll add up my CHECK ENGINE blinks below):

4 pause 1 pause 1 pause 2 pause 9 pause 1 pause 1 pause 2 pause 9 pause 1 pause

I also believe that first or second one (I think it was the first) was really a rapid flash. Any help would be most appreciated. I think I've decided to keep this motor :) What the hell...we'll eat mac and cheese for a month or two. Time to learn something new.

But I think I need to do a second test with STO with the motor not running. I'm getting confused here.
The initial rapid flash is the system running the self test. I.E. It means it is working right. Ignore it beyond noting that it is running. After this you have 2 sets of results divided by a longer pause. One is basically immediate memory and the second is lasting memory. Most of the time they are the same codes but not always. It looks like you have 2 codes. 11 (System Pass) and 29 (Insufficient sensor input). I have never had the second code so I'm not sure what is causing it. Are your O2 sensors disconnected? I think that would throw other codes as well but I'm not sure. Odd that you are even getting 11 though since I have never had it come up if there were any other codes. I would try to figure out what sensor it is looking for and correct that and then if you only get the 11 code you will be all set.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks Saddle. Yeah, both O2s are hooked up, but I think part of my smog pump is not all hooked up. I have a (return line?) off the Mustang exhaust Hpipe plugged up and one 5/8 hose off the smog pump plugged with a wine cork right now (hiC!) ;) These aren't sensor, but could they be causing that 29?

Thanks! Hey, when it started doing the self test on the motor, I thought that was soooo cool! I think I'm gonna dig injection!

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
If you haven't gone to Ryans site www.fordfuelinjection.com go. It tells you right there that the code 29 is "Insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor."

Sounds like it could be a problem with the VSS, which would not be related to the smog stuff. Do you have your VSS hooked up? That would be a place to start.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If its the VSS then I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems with it dying at stop lights. Mine hasn't been hooked up since I swapped out the tranny. One of these days I'll get under there and lengthen it so I can hook it back up but so far it still runs fine.