• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help again! heres an easy one.

benelibutton

Put clamps on the leaf springs pulled out the bolt put in the shims , put the bolt back in. I mounted the leafs back in. Isnt the head of the bolt supposed to fit in the hole on the top of the leaf spring mounting bracket?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. But only when it's the right size. If you measure your bolt head and compare it to the hole in the perch, you'll find out what you need. If it's larger, than there's nothing for it but to drill the holes larger.

Our pins are larger than stock, so the holes automatically get drilled with our springs. Maybe it was the same for whatever pins you now have.

Paul

OP
OP
B

benelibutton

Thanks. I stopped being a pussy and got the drill out before I read your answer. Im kinda pissed because i bought a used lift and put it on and the back is about an inch lower. Do you think is well settle out with alingment and once it starts rolling. The front where its been since i put the front springs on and lowered it down on tires. maybe the front needs to roll out a little. I dont know I guess i could stack a one inch block under the shims.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The fronts probably won't settle any. At least not in the near future. It's usually the rears that do the settling. Sorry to hear yours isn't sitting where you want it.
Of course it's "possible" that rolling it might free something up and let things equalize, but it doesn't sound like it's going to do that from here.
Only one way to find out though I guess, eh?

Yes, a 1" block would do the trick. But before you decide on that, if you're just using the old eyeball method of measurements, the best thing to do would be to lift the rear end with a jack until it sits where you like it. THEN measure the difference.
But even before you do that, make sure you don't torque down the rear spring and shackle bolts until the vehicle weight is on the ground, then drive it for a few miles to see if anything settles in the rear. Then measure the difference to see what you need to do.

And speaking of blocks, do you have enough thread left on the u-bolts to add some additional height to the mix? If not, you'll need to get longer ones.

Good luck

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where are you located by the way? Sometimes if someone else here is nearby, it's fun to have another set of eyes on things to help. And then you could have the helper jack up the rear while you watch and say "right there" for your measurements.
And of course too, there's cool and refreshing beverages to share and commiserate over sagging springs with a sympathetic fellow sufferer.

Other than that, I'm just curious. ;D

Paul