• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! How do I position my 4 core Radiator with my F150 Power Steering?

Kirby N.

My 69 Bronco has a Power Steering conversion from I am guessing an f150. I rebuilt the motor and I have it all back in except for the cooling system. The Ron Davis 4 core from Wild Horses has no room with the power steering box. The radiator was expensive and I won't mount it where it will get toasted on the box when the frame flexes. I would like to fix the hodge podge of a steering system that the other owner installed- any suggestions? Is there a smaller steering box I can use? I have thought of getting a bronco box, but they are huge money. Is there some sort of kit to weld to the frame when installing the power steering? The box that is currently on there is attached with some ghetto u bolts and other junk. Also, is there a good kit to install radiators on these broncs? My factory mounts are about toast.

Thanks in advance!

Cougar

Loc.
Loveland, CO
I would contact Wild Horses and see if they have any suggestions since they sold you the radiator. I'm guessing the dilemma is due to the steering box being mounted inside the frame instead of outside?

I'll be facing your situation soon since I too have an F series box on my Bronco. I know that I've seen one of the vendors advertising a radiator that would work for our application, but that doesn't benefit you having already bought the Ron Davis unit.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
In my 66 I had the tanks of the Radiator cut down to fit
no issue at all. The f 150 gear has a thick metal bracket that should be welded and bolts to the frame. I can get you pics if i get home and there is light.
or if your close to PDX swing on down

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
well what i had to do was remove the valve and plug it up with a brass plug.. then i took a smal ball hammer and SMACKED! it a few times where the box hits the rad. i have about 1/4 inch clearance now between the rad and box.

make sure it doesnt touch the box at all. vibrations will make a hole.

o and i have no over heating/ clog problems..

OP
OP
K

Kirby N.

Do you have pics of the box?

I will get some as soon as I can. The bronc is at my parents house so I have to get over there.

Ok, I have done some research and I believe it has a swapped in f100 box inside the frame rail, but I can't exactly picture what it looks like. I know it is a booty fab nightmare, so I am thinking of doing this 4x2x4 box thing and seeing if I can clean up the steering and the radiator at once. Then I can move the box outside the frame rail too. It would probably help with bump steer anyway to get the box further from the knuckle.

How are you guys mounting your radiators? Is it a pure 1 off fab for everyone or does anyone know if daystar makes some bushings or something for it. I guess I will look into daystars website. I am new to the bronco scene!

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I had no idea the boxes could be mounted inside or outside the frame rail. In the 40 years my bronc has been alive, I think it has seen some mods from many people. Some good, some ghetto! The steering is definately ghetto and I don't want soemthing like steering to be questionable. I guess I will get the buxx box out and head to the junk yard.

Kirby

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
What's your budget, can you afford a new factory style box (and linkages)?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=137_57

If not, then can you get the radiator side tank cut and welded locally?

As for the mounts, you can purchase the bronco style mounts and isolators from any of the vendors, if the rad is made to mount like that. On my 68, the PO solid mounted a non bronco one, however, given flex and vibration, I think it wise to float it a bit using some bushings and slotted holes.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Does the box look like the painted one???
3.jpg

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
i have a write up on the f100 ps box install on www.NorCalBroncos.com
heres the LINK

if you need to be logged into NCB to see the pics i will post them on here. its a great box and i think the next one will be the 2x4x4 box...but thats going to be in 10 years.. the 2x4 box is stout and strong. try to use it . i mean you already have it..

OP
OP
K

Kirby N.

Thanks Pokey. I believe it is a F100 box now that I see the pics. Only the PO did not use that nice bracket you have. Instead, he used a big ol 1/4 plate on the opposite side of the frame and two lame axle ubolts. Booty fabrilicious. I Think I know no I need to do the 2x4x4 box.

Where did you get the reservior? Mine is really wierd with a tapped in hose fitting in the top for overflow into a 1 liter MT. Dew Bottle.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
are you talking about the pump??? Wildhorses4x4.com. i bought it off one of thier ebay buys for 100 buck. they also have the frame bracket. or if your welding skill are up to par, its real easy to make