• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help....i cant fig this out

gibsonplayer45

SOOOOO..... I have put a 160, 180, 192 therm and cant get the thing to stop running hot....it runs pretty good with no thermostat in it should i just do that?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well you could go that route but usually without a t stat once it gets hot you will really be hot. Not only that it just takes longer for the engine to come up to temp. Anyhow with none of the t stats working that points to other issues. Maybe the radiator is plugged up or theres a head gasket leak or or leak.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The thermostadt is probably not your issue. If the flow restriction of an open thermostadt causes overheating vs. the thermostadt not being installed then your cooling system is marginal at best.

Are you running a fan shroud?

How old is your radiator? Stock or have you upgraded to aluminum or a 4-core?

myclsic69

How old is the water pump? those things don't have to leak, to start going bad on you.
If all of the cheap stuff fails, head gaskets are next.

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
have to say it but..... Is the thermostat in the right way?

Hauq

I don’t know the history of your rig; running lean will make it run hot, having the spark too advanced will make it run hot. Does it overheat at highway speeds, or at idle? Then there are the obvious issues, clogged radiator, poor water pump.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I'd start by taking the radiator out and flushing it really well with water until the water runs clean. Then flush it with vinegar. Let the vinegar sit and really shake it up. Maybe even use an air hose to get down in there. Then flush with water again and then flush with baking soda in water.

Old school trick that works.

Some people even run their cars with vinegar in the system to clean everything out. It has a very low acidity so it won't destroy anything.

Last edited:

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
If you have not serviced your radiator in a while(or ever) it might be time. Clean out the inside real good as stated but something you also need to look at is the outside of the radiator, specifically the fins. You should be able to see through the fins of you radiator but quite often there's 40 years of bugs and craps stuck in the fins. I had to gently pressure wash my radiator to get all the mud and bugs out of it. It took me almost an hour with a pressure washer and compressed air. But when I was done I could see light through the fins and it works soooo much better. Basically if the air can't actually get through the radiator it can't do it's job of cooling the water.

Last edited: