• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help identify missing transmission bolt

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Anybody know the specs of this missing bolt and where I can get it?

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 64

jwhit

ford typicaly uses 5/16-18 bolts about 1/2 long for dust covers

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Clean off the gunk and you'll see two more bolts on that side of the engine plate. Take one of the others out, take it with you to the hardware store, and buy another that matches.

All those three bolts do is hold the bottom of the plate to the bellhousing. Nothing special about them. Easily replaceable with common hardware.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thegreatjustino, as you can see I have a leak coming from the transmission, I assumed that tightening up this bolt would possibly fix that leak. However, after reading your post I am thinking that may not fix it. Is it "normal" for transmission oil to be in the bell housing?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Could be front seal on the transmission. have to remove engine or trans to get at it... bolt is just for plate between engine and trans. won't affect the leaking...

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks sandman, so much for an easy fix... I will put that bolt in but I am thinking the leak is going to have to wait till I replace the transmission.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Thegreatjustino, as you can see I have a leak coming from the transmission, I assumed that tightening up this bolt would possibly fix that leak. However, after reading your post I am thinking that may not fix it. Is it "normal" for transmission oil to be in the bell housing?

That bolt does nothing, it's not the source of your leak, and its fine to run without it.

You likely have a rear main seal leak, probably valve cover leaks, and possibly intake manifold leak at the rear of the engine.

Basically you can keep running as is until you get sick of the oil dripping all over, then it's time to refresh the engine. When oil is leaking from everywhere it's a sign of excessive blow-by from worn rings. Occasionally it's from the PCV system not working properly.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure the bolt is missing? Having just sheared one off myself....:( Curses small dewalt impact driver, who knew!!

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Why do you think it is tranny fluid leaking?? Do you have to keep adding tranny fluid? If so have you checked your transfer case fluid?

Do you have to add motor oil?

I just got the bronco last week and filled up all the fluids so I don't know which one it may be coming from. I'll monitor it to see. Honestly I just assumed since it was coming from the bell housing it must be transmission fluid. However, that may be incorrect.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it really looks like normal grunge. As mentioned the bolt is just for the bell housing plate. If it was from the tranny input shaft ( a seal, and or a gasket) your clutch would be slipping. As a new owenr, I would fill, change, check a lot Especialy Brakes and safety stuff. I would pull al the wheels and check everything about the brakes first. Also get a Chiltons manual and read it and read it. I would drive on. Good luck

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Hi, it really looks like normal grunge. As mentioned the bolt is just for the bell housing plate. If it was from the tranny input shaft ( a seal, and or a gasket) your clutch would be slipping. As a new owenr, I would fill, change, check a lot Especialy Brakes and safety stuff. I would pull al the wheels and check everything about the brakes first. Also get a Chiltons manual and read it and read it. I would drive on. Good luck

Thanks for all the input. For right now I'll get the bolt inserted and keep an eye on things. I really don't want to pull the motor or transmission right now.