• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help identify these heads, 302? 351? 289?

bosshoff

Contributor
So I have this pair of bare heads which I received along with short block 302 (they were loose, and I re-used my semi-tricked-out old ones.), when I purchased it in 1993. How or where can I look to figure out what they are? I know nothing about heads, and I see some casting numbers inside the lower center, which would be hidden by the valve cover. One has a "302" cast into it. One has a "Ford" script cast into it, the other looks like it has a tag which says "B A" covering the "Ford" script.? Could this have been rebuilt by "B A"?
The first head has "4E24", and a "S", and "Ford", and "WCP"(although not in that position).
The second head has "4E29", and a "CF" looking cattle-brand, a "302", and instead of the "ford" script, it looks like there may be a tag over it saying "B A" There is also a "6A" down where the lower part of the head meets the block.
The valves and spark plug are located in a hollowed out "bean" shaped chamber, not a hollowed out "circle". Hope this makes sense. So what have I got?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
E2 would be '82

14mm spark plugs holes are '74 and newer.
18mm spark plug holes are '73 and older.

Find a ½" bolt, try and stick it through one of the head bolt holes.
If it goes through, they are set up for a 351.
If it doesn't go through they are for a 302.

Look at the rocker arm mounts.
Studs in place, are then pressed in or screw in (screw in has a hex at the base, press in don't.
Threaded hole, small hole and slot?
Screw in studs generally indicates something worth investigating.
Press in studs are pre '77 heads
Screw holes with a slot are stock pedistal rockers that are post '77 and are nothing special.

The 302 on the head is likly to indicate that they are for a 302 engine. Back in '82 there was a slug called a 255 that had the worst small block head ever concived. I doubt that those are them due to the 302 markings. The 255 intake ports are about the size of your thumb.

From what I can tell they are nothing special heads. If you have all the parts and are doing a stock rebuild they might be usable. If you are trying to make a good running engine I wouldn't use them for anything more then a doorstop.

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
My heads have the combustion chamber similar to the one shown on the right marked as "Aussie". (I found this picture on the web, it is not actually a picture of my heads.) Is my head with the bean shaped combustion chamber normal/special? Is the standard combustion chamber found on a bone stock 302 round, or bean shaped? I just want to be sure I am not overlooking something. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• wm351auscompcc350.jpg
    wm351auscompcc350.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 10