• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Installing Chrome Grille Trim Ring

bloving52

My 77 bronco did not come with the chrome grille trim ring around outer edge of grille, and Im wanting to install one. So I order from TBP- and get it in the mail- to find that it comes with screws, and no mounting instructions.
Im usually pretty good with figuring stuff like this out- but I dont want to dill a hole in the wrong spot in my grille. So anyone out there done this before, and have any tips or instructions? Thanks

Also - Im new to this and there may already be a post about it- if so, Im sorry and please someone just send me in right direction.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Bought from the same place. No instructions. I did already buy that Jim Osborn assembly manual, which I hate with a passion because of the water mark on every page, BUT in this case it has detailed diagrams of the install, so it has redeemed itself somewhat. Even with the diagram it took me several hours. I really took my time so as not to drill wrong holes. As it was, I made one bad drill hole, but it was hidden. I will write some instructions in a couple more posts so not so much text in one post.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
The manual just shows where the various clips go, but no measurements. It is up to you to figure out orientation. So, I laid the pieces on the grill, to get an idea of fitment. I had to carefully bend the curved pieces just slightly so that they made the turns. They bend easy and you have to be careful so as not to crease them. You want to make the side pieces fit the curve on each end. So the way I installed the trim pieces their edge comes down just over the groove that goes around the flat area. Hard to explain, but the trim pieces are on the perimeter of the flat area. I am fairly good at eyeballing stuff and I just got a good idea of where the trim needed to be, then I drilled the holes for the clips.

There are two types of clips. Ones with a threaded stud and ones that has a plastic push pin. The threaded clips do the real holding power. The plastic stud type go in the areas between the threaded stud clips and just help keep the trim running true. No push pin type clips go for the side trim. They are all used on the top and bottom trim.

Each side trim takes four of the threaded version clip. Space them so two clips are on the side and then a clip on top and bottom. Keep in mind that you need to leave room for the straight top and bottom trim to slip into the side trim, so keep the clip well away from each end of the side trim.

The remainder of the threaded clips are spaced across the top and bottom straight trim pieces. Note that all the trim pieces have a notch in their middle that allows you to slip the clip into the trim. SO, make sure when you put the middle threaded clips in position, they will not be where that notch is. This is where I made my one mistake. I had drilled to put the threaded stud clip into the middle of the grill, but that ended up putting the clip right where the notch was, so it was not going to hold. I had to move it over slightly, having to drill a new hole. Look and find the notch. Now just keep that in mind as you lay out where the clips will get screwed into place.

After you have the threaded clips in place, then the plastic clips go in between the area between threaded clips. The trim piece will be able to just snap into those plastic clips. The way I did things was installed the side trim first. Then drilled for all the top and bottom clips. Slipped the threaded clips into the trim. Installed the plastic clips into the grill. Then slipped the threaded clips through the holes and finger tightened the nuts. Then pushed the trim until it snapped into the plastic clips. I might have had to loosen the threaded clips on one end trim so I could slip it over the top and bottom trim, then get it all into place. You might need to widen the side trim slightly so that the top and bottom trim will slide into it all the way.

So, last note. I did all this with my grill off the truck because I was still in assembly mode. Made it a lot easier to do this and still it took me hours. If you lay say the bottom trim in place, so it is just getting up to the white area, that gives you an idea of how the side trim will be curving around each side.

I will read over my instructions and edit as needed. I hope these instructions make sense. I have only done this once.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Here is a pic of my trim...

IMG_2109_zps9baeceko.jpg

Trim_zpsbe6hurn8.jpg