• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Installing Chrome Grille Trim Ring

bloving52

My 77 bronco did not come with the chrome grille trim ring around outer edge of grille, and Im wanting to install one. So I order from TBP- and get it in the mail- to find that it comes with screws, and no mounting instructions.
Im usually pretty good with figuring stuff like this out- but I dont want to dill a hole in the wrong spot in my grille. So anyone out there done this before, and have any tips or instructions? Thanks

Also - Im new to this and there may already be a post about it- if so, Im sorry and please someone just send me in right direction.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I already had holes so I did not start from the same point as you however I just re-installed mine yesterday after paint. There should be both 100% plastic clips and bolts (Ill call them bolts but they're really plastic clips with a bolt in it). I bought the clip kit since my chrome was still in good shape so I should have the same parts as you just got.

So the all plastic clips go on the sides and the bolts are for the straight sections. I believe there's four plastic ones on each side. The hole locations are somewhat arbitrary since the fasteners slide in the track so to speak. The sides would be an exception and it'll probably be tricky to get those right.

The plastic clips go in the hole then the little plug goes into the clip to flare out the backside and retain the clip to the grill. The bolts style clips are pretty self explanatory and there's little notches in the backside of the chrome to get them slid into place.

You pretty much have to slide all the chrome together first and install it as an assembly. The bolts are obvious but the chrome just snaps over the plastic clips. I must be honest and say I did not use the plastic clips, I had some leftover factory bolts and used those even on the sides. I just didn't really like the clips because I was having a hell of time getting them in without opening up the holes (fresh paint).

If I had to do it from scratch I would carefully place the side holes first based on how the chrome fits around the contours. If that isn't right you'll fight it. If you pm me your email I can send you some pictures from just before I put the chrome on. I think you'll be able to see where the factory holes were good enough to get you started. I'd post pics here but I'm not in front of my computer. I probably left some steps out so if you have more questions let me know and I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck.

turbotim2

I already had holes so I did not start from the same point as you however I just re-installed mine yesterday after paint. There should be both 100% plastic clips and bolts (Ill call them bolts but they're really plastic clips with a bolt in it). I bought the clip kit since my chrome was still in good shape so I should have the same parts as you just got.

So the all plastic clips go on the sides and the bolts are for the straight sections. I believe there's four plastic ones on each side. The hole locations are somewhat arbitrary since the fasteners slide in the track so to speak. The sides would be an exception and it'll probably be tricky to get those right.

The plastic clips go in the hole then the little plug goes into the clip to flare out the backside and retain the clip to the grill. The bolts style clips are pretty self explanatory and there's little notches in the backside of the chrome to get them slid into place.

You pretty much have to slide all the chrome together first and install it as an assembly. The bolts are obvious but the chrome just snaps over the plastic clips. I must be honest and say I did not use the plastic clips, I had some leftover factory bolts and used those even on the sides. I just didn't really like the clips because I was having a hell of time getting them in without opening up the holes (fresh paint).

If I had to do it from scratch I would carefully place the side holes first based on how the chrome fits around the contours. If that isn't right you'll fight it. If you pm me your email I can send you some pictures from just before I put the chrome on. I think you'll be able to see where the factory holes were good enough to get you started. I'd post pics here but I'm not in front of my computer. I probably left some steps out so if you have more questions let me know and I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck.

Would you mind posting up the pics here? Others may also be able to use the information...like me ;D

WRG

I recently installed new grill trim on my bronco that did not have it installed prior. The method i used was to put all the pieces of the trim together, get a couple of buddies to hold it in place as best as can be determined. Then, i placed small pieces of blue painters tape on each side of the trim where i wanted the mounting clips to be positioned. I purchased a drill punch to mark the spot dead center between the tape, and then drill my hole. Disassemble the trim and insert clips into position, reassemble trim and carefully install with another set of hands close by...thats what worked for me and i was happy with end result!

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
lookin 4 a tech article or just to have this made into a "stickie".
My thought is: can't this disappear? May B not...? I luv pic too.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently installed new grill trim on my bronco that did not have it installed prior. The method i used was to put all the pieces of the trim together, get a couple of buddies to hold it in place as best as can be determined. Then, i placed small pieces of blue painters tape on each side of the trim where i wanted the mounting clips to be positioned. I purchased a drill punch to mark the spot dead center between the tape, and then drill my hole. Disassemble the trim and insert clips into position, reassemble trim and carefully install with another set of hands close by...thats what worked for me and i was happy with end result!

Basically the same thing I did. I counted the number of clips, then spaced them evenly around the trim. marked the locations on the grill, center punch, drill, and install.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
each an inch or 2 in from an end? any in the apex of the 4 curves - or stay away frm there with one on eather side of a 'corner'?

I may B way too concerned, never bothered w/any kinda trim, esp ona wrk vehicle, but this goes to my da & wanna do it well...fella w/viva mentioned a uTube - I saw nothing...like everything else just gotta get in there'n futz around. By the last hole I'll have it down, time to move onto "seat recover" or sompin.

ideal? start at a point. Name it: "top cord of molding, 3 inches frm center of headlght center to left, 1st hole (x diamiter). 2nd hole - dwn that same cord x inches, x sz hole..." All the way around. What, 20 holes? Any way, I'll keep goin, no rush 39 yrs now, still fun, still a weird lill bob tail~

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Somebody on here mentioned using bolts,washers and nuts all the way around. 1/4-20 maybe? Had to grind them on the top of the head to fit in the sliding channel. This is what I did. Don't use nylock nuts like I did, they rotate slightly when tightning and put a tiny dimple in the trim. I would use a nut with thread locker. Holes top and bottom are not critical as far as spacing goes, but as others said, the ends are. Good luck, David

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I did using nylon nuts and bolts from HomeDepot. You need to grind the heads down a bit to reduce the height then they slide right into the track on the trim. Four great reasons to use the nylon bolts - they do not rust in place and cause the trim to be destroyed later, you can pull the trim down nice and tight to the grill, you have a much lower chance of scratching the grill and the nylon hardware is about $10 versus $80 for the OEM stuff.

Here is what I did if it helps:

I put strips or painters on the sides, top and bottom where the grill was going to sit. Then I put the assembled trim on the grill (mine was not on the truck yet). Using a tape measure I centered it top/bottom, side to side and marked the inside and outside edge of the side piece of trim. These fit sort of crappy in my opinion and I had OEM Ford trim. Then I removed the trim and drilled two holes near the ends of the side piece. You want a fastener close to the joint so it can keep it down tight but not too close it prevents the pieces from sliding inside each other. With one side loosely bolted put the whole trim piece back on and do the other side. This lets you take advantage of the adjustment in the top/bottom pieces to get the side pieces right. Before drilling the other side make sure the top and bottom fit right and are straight. Once the sides are done the top and bottom are easy - mark a few places with tape and lines, take it all off, drill the holes, put it back on. You have to put the trim on and off a lot of time and it needs to be assembled.

Once it is all loosely bolted in place start tightening up the nuts to pull it tight. You can slide the trim a bit on the bolts to make adjustments.

If you have OCD or your truck lives outside you may want to dab some paint in the holes so they do not rust. Did you ever see a Bronco with a grill that looks like it is crying because of the rust lines?!?! It is the trim fasteners and the holes rusting.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
luckly I have my grill off for the 1st time in 51 yrs. I'll do the H4 hedlghts, ford ltrs, this, etc. The best 4 me would be 'a call out for each hole' after locating one point from a oem trim model (see #7 post, last paragraph). But I'm not the OP. Get that down, may B add all the helpful hints here, make it a "stickie".