• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP---just one more "No Thermostat" question

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
So i had a chance to read through the threads on this subject, but i didnt see where anyone addressed the the hose pressure sitiuation.

we replaced the stock radiator with a champion 3 core (using stock shroud and 4 core mounts) and did the new thermostat (190) at the same time...

overheated- a few times.. popped a hose and found another with a smalle slit that opened up with all teh pressure...

so we changed more old hoses bought a new 180 stat and started over...

still heated up a bit but not up to 230 ro beyond thsi time...... seemed like the presuure on the hoses had them rock hard.. IMO too much so....

take into account the old set up ran the same motor at 210...

so today i said screw it and we pulled the stat out... obviously it runs very cool.. like 140-170 max....

so i hear and read that the no stat thing is not a good solution long term... which makes me want to go back with a 190--- but my fear is that im right back to having this thing potentially not open up (quick enough) and the engine jumping to 230 or higher again...

I boiled two different stats (A 180 AND A 190) to see them open up for my self and still with each install they didnt keep the truck at what I thought was a safe temp.. (190-210)..

i could go back and re install the 190 but what about the freaking hoses... they get so tight i think there going to burst at any moment.......

am i missing something that is obvious???

DP

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Maybe you had air in the system thats why it over heated and popped the hose. If your t stats dont have a small poppit valve in them you can drill a small hole in the edge which helps bleed the air out of the system.
Or you have other issues like a blown gasket or cracked head thats causing the extra pressure once the engine gets to operating temp.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Is the pressure cap still good?

x2, & what is happening with your overflow reservoir?

Have you tried using gravity to burp the system? Get those front wheels higher than the back, let the system burp itself.

OP
OP
D

DFP1129

Loc.
Germantown TN
yes i doing teh stat the right direction- and the cap that came with the radiator is new and good to my knowledge.. there was airin teh ystem when we forst did this but we were able to gte it all out on the second try..

i guess the scary thing is it could be a gasket or head.. didnt think about that..

what kind of compression are you guys getting on average from each cylinder? on a stock 302??

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
You can get gas testers to see if leaking into coolant system. Quick check, pull cap off radiator and see if you see bubbles(cold start naturally).