• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me pick an engine, 302 or 351 roller

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have the 87-93 Mustang Mass Air EFI on the old Bronco 302. I am burning oil and it is not worth fixing the old motor. I want to upgrade to a 302 roller or 351 roller.
I am running Duff long tube headers and a C4.

Option 1: I am leaning towards picking up a low mileage 96 or 97 Explorer 302. It’s a direct drop in and I can use the serpentine pulley system. I am expecting to spend about $300 from the local junkyards for the long block and accessories.

Option 2: track down a 351 F4TE roller from a late 94 to 97 (I think) truck. Will I be able to use my 302 EFI on the 351 or will I need the truck EFI intake and an adaptor plate?

Option 3: spend more money and buy a rebuilt 302 roller for $1000. I found one near me.

Is the 351 worth it?
I am not in a huge rush but want to replace the motor this winter.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
351W is wider so consider in a new exhaust if you go that route.

Nice to have that extra torque though - I really liked my 351W (in the blue one). It was a thirsty beast though.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I did no know they were wider. I want to keep this as simple as I can. No more mushroom projects.
Maybe I will just stick with the Explorer swap.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Here's my take on it as I'm building BOTH right now. Got a '90 stang 5.0 HO getting assembled on my back porch right now for my '69 mild trail/ camp/ cruizin' rig. Got a '94 5.8 full roller awaiting assembly in my stall at the auto shop here on base for the '68 crawler build. '69 will never see over size 35" tires and will soon have 4.11 gears in it. '68 will be rolling on 39.5"+ tires w/ NP-435/ 203/ 205 doubler, detroits front and rear with a final crawl ratio of 128:1.

I don't think the 5.8 is that much of a headache if you really want the added torque/ power. If you're not going any more extreme on this rig than your signature implies an explorer 5.0 would be plenty, IMHO. Maybe build the 5.8 for the second 77 trailrig and have one of each like I will in the next couple years?;D

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
John, you can use your Mustang efi on a 351 roller. Just need the truck lower manifold and the BC adapter to the Mustang upper. See this link about a 1/4 of the way down the page.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks Gary.
I have a body lift so everything should fit. I need to hit the junkyards near me and start looking.

I also want the serpentine set up. Would I use the 351 serpentine stuff or the Explorer serpentine stuff on the 351?

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Thanks Gary.
I have a body lift so everything should fit. I need to hit the junkyards near me and start looking.

I also want the serpentine set up. Would I use the 351 serpentine stuff or the Explorer serpentine stuff on the 351?

You can use either. Explorer stuff is gonna take up less room but the 5.8 stuff should work fine too. If you're junkyard huntin' and decide to use the 5.8 serp, look for a 5.8 powered van! They come with a saginaw p/s pump and bracket.:cool:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks Gary.

The truck upper is really tall! You'll need the body lift plus a big scoop to make it fit.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
351 is only an inch wider so, depending on current exhaust setup that may be a non issue. The mustang upper on the truck lower with the adapter should fit with your body lift. I love the extra touqre of the 351 over the 302, over a 100 ft/lbs difference on most models.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Ok guys... i just came back fron the junk yard and found a 92 conversion van with a 351 that has 120,000 miles and runs well. At least that is what the yard owner said and what was written on the side of it. I think it has the Mustang firing order. He wants $450 and they will pull it and set it in the back of my truck.

Is this a good deal?
It is not a roller and should I care if its not?
Can I use the serpentine setup on it?
Can i use my Mustang 19 pound injectors?

Last edited: