• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me pick my lift!

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
2.5" wild horses kit. Or just add one of the 1" integrated mount body lift kits with current setup. Unless it's an old kit that doesn't ride well then could do 1" body with a newer stock height coils and springs.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
If you are wanting lift with the best ride and handing .....the most popular right now is the WH 2.5" with the Bilstein option and their 1" body lift.

I agree. And as an added benefit, with the 1" body lift you'll have more clearance for the air cleaner when you put the hood back on.

Its hard not to notice the lower paint stripe line that extend's onto the grill panel instead of the stock paint line where it stops at this body joint. This really stands out in these pic's, and the more I look at it the more I like it. Sharp looking rig sir!

One neat aspect that I'm thinking about is the feature of this lower paint line and the relation to the 1" body lift. It appears the slight separation between the body and the bumpers created by the 1" BL will flow very nicely and line up near the bottom of the white paint. The little touches like this truly create an exceptional looking rig.

Last edited:

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Any thoughts on the newer tires vs my old setup? Hate when I see before and after pictures and say I like the before picture better. Kinda feeling the same way with my rig today.
Probably because the bigger tires are squeezed in there. Once you add a 2.5" lift you'll be good to go!

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I'd vote for the WH 2.5 SL and a one inch body lift. Less stuff to mess with as far as steering geometry etc.
I have that setup on mine and love it, upgrade to the Bilstein shocks as well. I'm running about a 32x10x17.

Last edited:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So is that a 351 in there? Based on the emblem I'm thinking it is and maybe that's why the hood is not on because it's too tall for the stock hood to close? That would make me think about a body lift. I'm doing the same thing and ended up going with a 2" BL/3.5" SL. I think 33" tall tires are going to look funny with that much lift.

Maybe go with a WH Deluxe 1" BL or a 2" BL and see what it looks like after that is installed prior to changing the SL.

Here's a pic I took of my 302 setup. It just cleared the hood.

m5QSipZzItvLU3QLhInuU-dgNp6fefQABg-fdgVlr6Ecn9rQgA6zuHQqy24GoGCNfrF2xoVQj-AuMzgGWAZ_yAlrmS6UU8Sjeq7ySIRugRp8vQPHXtpetb7oCv93g-az0lIzH_RuW-czBXIDRgCPTKNGQ3oGXcle1rgYlxZyBzbjXIQb28n1RXUVcIn5JJLGPC4gU7uYE6EWN3MwNqPWpXvwszKIKg9CRxPgk5ot9F5YOLxUCVvcypKa3D20Yh0xZw4VUKr5fAmh-Ns3vbMiLvZ9CX4zDPT7QCe7IXgCG84bN-eNzBOMQ1imiTk9KgotzQCC-ERhKYReCJu3nQk00_eqDsglnol9xHVWFUNSjvM3kd8xTk4o_-7q4KUuzoiWQ5jSdB4h1E4Qh_Fipezr9I1WinVsE0C3CEPEyG6Ze35eH5h7g6hJNYA1TvB4hxtMQTMfVsaGOURrXZEqF9X41sZt01AlLd0bKtSuE7_zxgpPFDwIudDEFI3_Mv7UWPI97hwEDj8ndhSqToK5AX4qgfnTi9DRxIQ03FlA80R3zd1zGRplXoSkKYwBaydkXfzADHDTBA=w1638-h921-no

And sweet EB by the way!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
For 33's I say the WH 2.5 premium. You won't be disappointed with the ride quality. By the looks as others have stated you would also benefit from a 1" BL with your air cleaner and motor combo. The 1" BL also makes future repairs/maintenance much easier if you ever have to drop the T case or trans...

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Mine is 2.5" Wild Horses with their 1" body lift. I love the ride. I am only on the street, no off road. 30" x 9.5 Geolandar tires on the stock steel wheels.
Washed1_zpskxdy1mq3.jpg

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I might be just me but I really wanted the WH 2.5 premium kit. I installed it and found it too soft (felt kinda scary on bends above 50mph) and ended up having to add front and rear sway bars on it to make comfortable for highway speeds. Again this is just my experience with a single Bronco. I have heard others with lots of positive feedback.

The one inch body lift is a good idea.

I did see a posting that Duffs now can special order the 2.5 inch rear leaf springs but as of yet didn't offer the front springs in 2.5 inch.

OP
OP
S

smoktf250

Thank you for all the input. I am ok with a 1" body lift but would prefer to stay away from anything more than that. She currently has a 392w in her. I had a Fiberglass hood that cleared but recently removed it and going back to a OE steal hood with a maverick eliminator hood scoop. Ive tossed around a couple different option suspension wise. 2.5" WH, Duff rear springs with WH front, Bronco hut also has a 2.5" spring and I also was considering cage 3.5" kit. I will definitely be going bilstein. Currently I have dual shocks upfront. Should I keep that set up? If so what shock valving should I be looking for?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thank you for all the input. I am ok with a 1" body lift but would prefer to stay away from anything more than that. She currently has a 392w in her. I had a Fiberglass hood that cleared but recently removed it and going back to a OE steal hood with a maverick eliminator hood scoop. Ive tossed around a couple different option suspension wise. 2.5" WH, Duff rear springs with WH front, Bronco hut also has a 2.5" spring and I also was considering cage 3.5" kit. I will definitely be going bilstein. Currently I have dual shocks upfront. Should I keep that set up? If so what shock valving should I be looking for?

You can probably get properly valved Bilsteins for a dual shock application but you do not "need" dual shocks....
Single Bilsteins are where it's at right now Bud.
Duff and WH both have great springs, leaf and coil.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Stick with the kit, if you mix and match you might cause more issues.
Call Paul over at WH and get the 2.5 deluxe kit. Eliminate the dual shocks they are not needed unless you plan to Baja your bronco. The guys here pointed me in this direction and I am very pleased.
Trust in the bronco brothers.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Nice rig,If it were me I would do the WH 2 1/2 suspension with rear leaves and single bilsteins,then if I still needed that little extra clearance I would go with their 1" body lift,that thing will look sick and perfectly proportioned and should ride great,you'll love those Toyos by the way,very nice looking rig for sure,enjoy it. :cool:

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Nice rig,If it were me I would do the WH 2 1/2 suspension with rear leaves and single bilsteins,then if I still needed that little extra clearance I would go with their 1" body lift,that thing will look sick and perfectly proportioned and should ride great,very nice looking rig for sure,enjoy it. :cool:

What he said.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the support everybody. Glad we're striking a good chord with users.
I'm basically with the others, especially with the body lift. Not just because of the lift itself, but because I'm leaning more to the 3.5" camp than just 2.5 for that size tire.
Not that they would not fit mind you. I just happen to like a little more air in the wheel well when tires get that big in diameter. Those are basically what most traditional 35" tires would be in height.

That said, going 2.5 + 1 has the advantage of the engine clearance, as well as other stuff underneath. Like modern transmissions. Some can be tight even with 1" of body lift.

For comfort, both suspensions are pretty close in spring rates. Hard to tell the difference really. The shocks make up a big part of whether someone likes the ride on the street or not. And here again I'm with the others. Bilstein seems to have nailed it out of the part with the valving on the 5100's for the EB. Lifted or not.
And while duals are a benefit sometimes, singles do the job for 90% or more of the owners here.
Keep the mounts maybe, but just order one shock per wheel for now. If you want duals later, we can find the proper valving and you can easily sell one pair of "slightly used" Bilstein shocks for a good price. Spend a little more up front perhaps, but it ends up being not that much in the scheme of things.
Yeah, I know... Easy for me to say.%)

Don't settle on 2.5" though, just because you think you will save money by not having to buy a dropped pitman arm or trackbar bracket. You "might" save that money, or you might decide later that you need them after all.
Right now, a big majority of drivers are opting for both with their 2.5" Broncos, because they felt that they lost a little bit of their road-feel in the steering after the lift.

Up to you as the driver of course, but keep an open mind when it comes to the steering. You'll be happy you at least know the difference and can deal with it if need be.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
S

smoktf250

When going with a 2.5" lift what else should I be purchasing?
Coil buckets?
Track bar drop from frame?
Track bar riser from axle?
Adjustable track bar?
Drop Pitman Arm?
7 degree bushings?
Rear shims?

Im thinking of running Bilstein 7100 in the front and 5100 in the rear. What valving would you guys recommend with the WH coils/springs? Any opinions on the fox shocks that are comparable to 7100/5100? Is there also any recommendation on hoop vs bracket on mounting front shocks behind coil? Looking to increase shock length by doing this. Lastly, does anyone make a steering stabilizer kit out there for a single/dual bilstein setup?