• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me start this Project, what year to buy for "little" Bronco

spike6901

Loc.
Houston TX
Newbe here – well sort of
Now that the big Bronco is gone, I opened a savings account for the purpose of starting a new project. I restored a ’79 CJ when I was in school so that was out. I want to start on a “little” Bronco next. So, what year should I be looking to get for the project? Here are my concerns and my plans:
Plans:
1. Fuel Injected 5.0L (Mustang) @ 260 – 275hp
2. Shorty headers, dual exhaust, Magnaflows
3. 4-speed auto tranny w/ overdrive (maybe) or manual 4 speed
4. 6 – 8” of lift, RS9000’s, w/ 35” Swampers
5. Lockers w/ 456 or close ratio
6. Want to pay between $2000 and $4000 for the Bronco depending on the condition. I am actually thinking of finding one that is not in “running” condition but with a good body and frame. I guess it depends on cost vs. condition.
Concerns:
1. Emmissions – At what year does it really not matter? I would really like not to run cats but what year were they required? A cam that is not currently emissions legal is probably something to think about too. I live in Houston so this is a concern.
2. Fitment – I assume that a 302 will swap directly with the 289 but I want the tranny shifter on the floor, not on the column unless it is an auto.

Thanks!!!!

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Welcome to the best Bronco Resource on the web!

First and foremost the correct term is Early Bronco. ;D

Second I beleve depending on your state some where around 73 or 74 you can be smog free. Starting in 73 the 302 was an option so it will drop in nicely. The floor shifter is not all that hard. You can get a Hurst kit and do it easily.

Ranger77

Loc.
Albuquerque,NM
Find one with a D44 up front. This will save you the time and money of having to do the swap. The D44 replaced the D30 in 1971 I think. 76 and 77 came with discs up front. Look out for rust. Good luck and welcome.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Sounds like you know what you want, and it all is easy enough to do. The wallet is the usual restriction.
6~8" of lift might make the 35"s look a spindly, you could fit 40s under that hieght.

OP
OP
S

spike6901

Loc.
Houston TX
Sorry about the "little" comment ;D
I am leaning towards a mid '70s model but you have a valid point about just finding one with the least amount of rust. I am mechanically able to do what I want and am really looking forward to this.
Thanks for your help, I also have lots of experience with the 5.0 Mustang field so hopefully I can help on questions about enigne mods.
Please, keep the comments coming. I will soak it up like a sponge.

G

And I was jest about to lay into you about "Little" good job , its early Bronco. welcome ;D

Little71

My vote would go for the 76. They have power disc brakes and power steering, plus the heavy duty big bearing 9 inch out back. Same setup as the 77 only without the fuel doors. The only real downsides are the steering style up front and the need for cats.

The 5.0 conversion will be a great one. It will swap right in with only a few mods and maybe a taller hood or body lift.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Buy in reverse order. 77 then 76 then 75 ETC cats started one year after the cars so 1975. Check your Texas registration rules you also have yearly safety
inspections dont you? so you may have to watch out for lift height and other stuff. Check the laws first and buy the newest year you can live with.