• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help, No spark!!

bighoss22r

Loc.
Salem, Oregon
I've got a 73 with a 289 and a Pertronix points eliminator kit.
It was running fine and when I went to pull it into the shop it just quit. doesn't seem to be getting any spark.
There is power to the coil and power up to the pertronix unit in the dist. I have tried 3 different coils and a brand new pertronix unit that I had for a spare.
Anybody got any Ideas?

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Long shot but is the distributor turning while cranking, could be a gear or chain issue. Did you check for spark directly from the coil also could be a bad coil wire or distributor cap. Other wise your pertronix spare could be at fault.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
How much power do you have going to the pertronix? it needs a full 12volts. X2 on checking to make sure the rotor is turning during cranking. Ive seen the dizzy gear roll pins sheer before which can throw the timing off or just not turn at all.

Traye3

Loc.
Maringouin, La
I'm having a similar problem. She was running great during the first test drive after getting it almost all put back together, developed an oil leak on the oil pressure gauge tube. Shut the motor off to make repairs and now she won't start. Turns over fine and gets fire but when the start is released to run nothing.?:?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
What shape is your rotor and cap? Rotor is turning but is it getting spark to the plug posts inside the cap? Try this. Remove the pertronix and install stock points and condenser. I had a pertronix go bad once and it took forever to find the problem. Both pertronixes might be bad then you could convert to Duraspark system which imho is far better than pertronix.