• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help!! Novice Bronco Owner!!

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
hey guys, i have a school car show tommorow (im 15) and i went to fire up the ol pony and she wouldnt start, so i took the batery off and charged it up and tried again, again nothing. When i turn the key it makes a click noise, and then when you turn it a second time it doesnt make a sound at all. I wired her up myself so hopefully its not a wiring flaw. What gets me is that it ran before, and it sat for about 2 weeks and now it wont start. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! ?:?

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
try tapping the starter with a hammer. Sometimes the starter will lock up. If that doesn't work it could be the solenoid. Also, check the battery cables too.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Your issue is most likely electrical in nature.

If the "click" is coming from the top of the engine, tap on the starter solenoid. If that doesn't do it, tap on the starter. Last thing, try starting your truck with the battery charger in the "start" position.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Try starting it with the headlights on. If the headlights stay bright when you try to start it then its a starter or solenoid problem. If the lights dim, its your battery or battery cables - terminal corrosion can cause this.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
broncoboy2828 said:
hey guys, i have a school car show tommorow (im 15) and i went to fire up the ol pony and she wouldnt start, so i took the batery off and charged it up and tried again, again nothing. When i turn the key it makes a click noise, and then when you turn it a second time it doesnt make a sound at all. I wired her up myself so hopefully its not a wiring flaw. What gets me is that it ran before, and it sat for about 2 weeks and now it wont start. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! ?:?

Sounds like a dead battery to me. Did it pull any voltage while it charged?

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
Dude it sounds like the same problem I sometimes have. I would turn the key and hear the click of the electronic whatever (solenoid I think) and not get any power.

The two tricks that I do that work 99% of the time are cleaning off the terminals on the battery and the cables. But before that, see if it will start in neutral. Sometime you can just act like you're going to shift and push it further into park...same idea.

Obviously this is if you have an auto.

bandit

Loc.
Afton
Some times the starter solenoid gets flat spots on them ,mine does this as we speak.One trick is to jump the solenoid to move the starter motor,and it usually will turn over after that.On the solenoid ,usually they are near the battery on the inner fender.Carefully,with the key turned on,put the screwdriver on two post at once(the solenoid,not the battery) ,you'll know its the right one when the starter engages.See if that bumps it around to a clean spot?
BANDIT

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
I must admit, I too and curious if he made it? Perhaps he jumped it and made the show afterall.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Coob said:
I must admit, I too and curious if he made it? Perhaps he jumped it and made the show afterall.

Probably got there, but now can't get back home ;)

OP
OP
B

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
Scoop said:
Did you get it started? The suspense is killing me . . .

haha ya i finally got it started, i replaced the wiring to the coil, and put a new pozzy cable from the battery to the solenoid, she turned over twice!!! lol hopefully the school likes the truck! ;D