• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help rear diff snapped in half now what??

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Hello just purchased a 67 hauled it back from new mexico to tucson and the rear diff snapped on the tow dolly. I am putting a 302 engine trans and transfer case in from a 1972 bronco when I finally get it home... Which type of rear diff do I need to find.. Is there a group of years and models that would work or a specific ratio from any model?. Its a Dana 44??? Or a 9 in rear diff.. Still know very little but need to get it home ASAP! Help!:) Anyone know of used parts in AZ?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Wow that suxs and you werent even wheeling it. The rear axle is a ford 9in if its the axle housing itself that snapped then unfortunetly the 66-77 broncos are about the only direct fit most all the others out there are to wide. If its the differentail itself well stock broncos need 28 spline setups as the axle shafts are 28 spline you can find 28 spline diffs fairly easy 66-77 broncos many cars and vans all have 28 spline diffs. also some of the late pickups up to early 70's may have 28 spline diffs. As far as ratio well depends on what you currently have for ratios. Most common for V8 broncos is 3.50, 4.11 was optional, if it was a 6cyl bronco then 4.11 was standard and 4.56 was optional. But gears can be swapped easily in the 9in so I'd get whatever you can then go from there.
As for parts well they can be hard to locate but they are out there. Driven autoparts in PHX http://www.drivenautoparts.com/ most likely they will have about any part you may need as they have a lot of parts trucks. You might also put a ad in the want section for someone that may have parts close by.
Unfortunetly I dont have any spare axle parts right now other than a couple of old axle shafts or I'd offer them up. which reminds me I need to get another spare diff one of these days.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Yes it was the actual housing that broke on the right side of center which then snapped the right axle luckily I heard a funny noise right before so I was slowing down or it could have flipped me I think .. The tow guy had a hell of a time getting me up on the flatbed..

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just turn it around on the tow dolly and get it home. You will need to put a few straps on the steering wheel to hold the front end from steering. Unlock the hubs any your good to keep going.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
trade the tow dolly for a full trailer

Total axle housing failure like you just experienced is extremely rare.

Bronco parts in AZ, you will be dealing with Randy at Driven Auto Parts in Phoenix.

Did you get this home, someplace safe? At this point in the weekend I don't know anyplace that has parts until monday.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You should be able to score a rear end, hell it's Saturday night.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Yeah it's now loaded on a full auto transport ready to be picked up I had to return home to Tucson to get a bigger truck.. $$$. My girl friend said if I buy it, it will be a money pit.. We currently are not on speaking terms..:cry:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Bad luck is right!

Better figure out the whole money pit thing now with your girl friend or this could be the beginning of the end... ;D

You'll find some parts.

'77 is the best housing-much stronger than the banjo style. They will all bend...I'm on my third one.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Yeah it's now loaded on a full auto transport ready to be picked up I had to return home to Tucson to get a bigger truck.. $$$. My girl friend said if I buy it, it will be a money pit.. We currently are not on speaking terms..:cry:

My wife of 10 years is having a fit about what I've spent, time and money on mine. I just got it little less then a month ago...... Just don't forget to pay attention to her still. She will get over it.

Ps they are worth the effort......broncos and wives

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jeremy can you post a picture of the broken housing, I just have never seen a nine inch housing break

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia

Well, she is right on that. But that hasn't stopped anyone on here. Better get those issues worked out before she's more than a girlfriend.

AZ69EB

Jeremy - Welcome to the sickness of owning one of the best iconic 4x4's ever made. Explorer is dead on with regards to your lady friend. You need to get her interested in your new toy or it will be a battle of money, attention, and your time.

I do feel your pain. I broke my 9” last year. It was first time my bronco has ever left me stranded. Fortunately, I belong to a great group of people called the Arizona Classic Bronco Club. They helped get my family, tent trailer, and my bronco back home to Gilbert from Flagstaff. It’s a great club to join. Tons of support.

You can find a used rear end on the cheap if needed. But, you need to know your front diff gear ratio to match it. But, many of us in the bronco world believe that breakage is an opportunity to upgrade!

Spap here are pictures of a broken 9". It does happen. Mine was welded by PO.

I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Attachments

• P1030352.jpg
    P1030352.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P1030351.jpg
    P1030351.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 70

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Girl friends come and go, but Broncos are forever! Wives are expensive to get rid of. My girl friend loves working on mine with me. She is short and closer to the ground to pick up a wrench when I drop it. ;D