• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help with my rear diff fluid change

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I use a rag and a screwdriver to mop up the bottom through the pinion opening. It is still lots easier than pulling axles and the third member just to change the oil.

True but if you pull it all one time you can put a drain plug in. Then you should never have to pull anything apart again. (knocks on wood)

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
hmmm maybe pull the pinion at 1st, this way i can change the universal as well....like i said I will want to swap gears some point down road, but next big DIY project is EFI....4 now I just want to make sure there is new oil in housing, cause I can almost garauntee PO's didnt bother-the plug is frozen in the housing i have PBed last 2 days, on 1st attempt I poppped the ratchet head out, nearly stripping!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You gotta dig all the years of crap out of the square hole before wrenching on it.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I always pulled the pinion housing off to drain a 9" until I could put in a drain plug. It comes off easily, doesn't change any rear end settings, and seals with an o-ring. The o-ring will last through several oil changes. Lots easier and less messy than some of the methods suggested by my brilliant brethern here.

I dont know about you but I spent 1/2-1 hour trying to get the pinion housing off-wouldnt budge....didnt change my fluid, But i did replace the the U joint, at the base of the diff....However How do I change the dbl u-joint at at the Tcase joint?

Oatmeal

.....It is still lots easier than pulling axles....... to change the oil.
Loosen four nuts and slide the axle out and if you raise the opposite side higher, all the lube will flow to one side......what could be simpler?:? -----------Hans

Oatmeal

Hans come on seriously?, forget it, I plan on swapping to 4.10+ front/back, when I do I will tap a drain....PIA......
Well, okay if you're planning on pulling the third member then I wouldn't bother changing the gear oil....what would be the point?:? But, if you were just going to change gear oil, I've found this to be the easiest, fastest way to do it. If you're into rockcrawling, don't put your drain plug on the bottom......you should see my Toyota's drain plugs. The rings that "protect" the drain plugs are ground almost completely away and I routinely knock the plugs loose.....gotta check them after every run. In fact, I'm probably going to weld them shut and replace one of my third member studs with a bolt that'll serve as the drain plug---------Hans