• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Selecting Front Locker

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I am regearing and new lockers to my EB. I am going to run 36 or 37 tires. Rear will probably be 31 spline spool or detroit. Gears to be 5.13. I am adding alloy front axles and super-joints. I cant decide on the front locker. I do very little street driving. Mostly woods running and some rock crawling. I am leaning towards a detroit up front simply for cost and simplicity. My only concern is breaking the detroit if I break something else in front. Next choices would be ARB or OX. I would like to avoid the extra cost if possible, but if I must. I have twin sticks. Some of my woods trails are tight so the turning help of the front selectable would also help. Mostly trying to avoid all the extra parts with the selectables.

Any advice?

I did search and really wanted some new advice.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
An advantage of the OX over the ARB is the fact that you don't need the pump or air supply. Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a selectable in the front for the turning problems alone. I run ARBs front & rear, but with the added cost of the pump or OBA system, for you, I would go with the OX. I haven't heard much about the electric locker, but there is also that option.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I changed from a lunch box locker to an ARB so that is all my comments are relevant to. I did some riding during the Holidays for the first time since installing the ARB. Nothing that even required the ARB to be locked, but I will say it sure was nice to be able to stay in 4WD in the turns without any steering hastles or popping noises.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I just recently blew a Detroit after less than 6 months and would not recommend one for the front, heard to many stories and experienced it myself. I have an aussie lunchbox in there right now. If I did it again (when originally putting it together) I would spring for the extra few bucks and get an ox or arb, it will be worth it in the end. I do like the aussie in there now but would still like the selectable eventually.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a selectable in the front for the turning problems alone. I run ARBs front & rear, but with the added cost of the pump or OBA system, for you, I would go with the OX. I haven't heard much about the electric locker, but there is also that option.

x2. Nothing but ARBs in the front in the rigs I run and the ones I build for others....FWIW.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Tito, I haven't heard a lot of stories behind broken detoits. Did you use the full-on locker?

My advice is if you can spend the money, get the OX. If not, with a twin stick, you should be fine with a detroit.

J.D.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Tito, I haven't heard a lot of stories behind broken detoits. Did you use the full-on locker?

My advice is if you can spend the money, get the OX. If not, with a twin stick, you should be fine with a detroit.

J.D.

Yup full detroit. Saddleup blew his up, the guys at Holbrook blew one, I read of several folks. I busted an outer and is probably what led to its destruction as has been the case with others. I couldnt believe I broke the alloy outer much less the Detroit.

Dan76

Spool the rear and just spend the extra on a selectable upfront.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I go against the grain on this topic, I have full detroits front and rear and have had no problems with them at all. I love the simplicity of it and no other problems to worry about. Like everything it all comes down to personal preferance.

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
I want to hear a little bit about the electric locker, same premise as the ARBs and the OXs, but uses a solenoid to engage.

Anybody running one?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I run a Detroit Electrac, mainly because I got it for a screaming deal on ebay. One difference is, unlocked, its a limited slip, so it rarely needs to be locked in. Other pluses: no air necessary, and there is an "emergency kit" that come with it that consists of a plate and a sping. Should the solenoid stop working, just unbolt it and replace it with the spring and plate and it stays locked.

Cons: it seems to be a little difficult to get adjusted right so that it will lock.
Steve runs one too and has for several years now so he has much more experience.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An advantage of the OX over the ARB is the fact that you don't need the pump or air supply. Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a selectable in the front for the turning problems alone. I run ARBs front & rear, but with the added cost of the pump or OBA system, for you, I would go with the OX. I haven't heard much about the electric locker, but there is also that option.

Isn't the OX over $800?
If so the ARB is cheaper I got my ARB and Pump for I think it was $740 shipped to my door. So I'd guess the OX shipped would have to run around $850?

cheapest OX I have found was $830 + shipping

Last edited:

Recko555

I haven't heard anyone on this board running an Eaton E-Locker (another electric actuated locker). If there is, speak up!

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Isn't the OX over $800?
If so the ARB is cheaper I got my ARB and Pump for I think it was $740 shipped to my door. So I'd guess the OX shipped would have to run around $850?

cheapest OX I have found was $830 + shipping

You know, I didn't look at the prices, but I did just now...ouch.. but the cheapest ARB pump I have found is still $170. Basically a wash and for that I would go with ARB. Last time I looked at locker prices was when I bought mine & that was when the ARBs were still below $670. ;D

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Look around on the boards and Craigs list. I picked up a rear ARB for $500 with two soliniods and switches that I didn't use and some line and such. Did buy a new one for the front. I have seen fronts going cheap when guys go to 60s.

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
I'm running an OX and have no problems with it.

Take into account you have to mount the selector arm and it needs to be mounted securely. I don't have a center console so I put it right behind my auto shifter. It's easy to drop my hand from the B&M and lock/unlock it.

The OX also takes care of needing some guard for the cover because the OX cover is heavy-duty.

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
I just bought for a dana 44 ARB for my full width swap. I got it for $650.00 brand new delived to my door. I got the compressor for $ 150.00.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Looking at COR's site. An ARB is $715, compressor is $170. (I was thinking about mounting a tank instead), the Detroit is $519, The OX is $859 but I think you then need to buy the cable for $109, so total is $968. The Eaton E-locker is $739. This is what is making it so confusing. The Detroit is simple, but I dont want a locker that is impossible to turn and can break with the other parts.