• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help Selecting Front Locker

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I think they detroits/aussie unlock when costing through a corner. Under power they lock up, which is what you want. When your turning a corner wheeling, it is never costing, usually always underpower. Stay open until you can get a selectable locker. You do need a locker or spool in the rear though. 75% of wheeling you can do with open front, locked rear.

Well, I'm not real sure I completely understand, but it doesn't matter. The jist of it is, I should just stay open and wait until I can put a decent locker in the front. Thanks!!

FYI: This is where I got my understanding of the Aussie
The "Aussie Locker" mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.

Now that I got that out of the way...

I know Tito said the Aussie is fine with stock 44 axles, what about the ARB? Should I upgrade the axles (what spine?) if I plan on going ARB in the future. The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to order my gears, and I want to get the right stuff now and then later I can just drop in the ARB and go.

Thanks guys!!

Recko555

probably start a new thread for your questions on gears and splines so your not hijacking this thread.