• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help!!! snaped off bolt, then snapped off drill bit!

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
i painted the inside of my doors today just to make it look a bit better. anyways, when i went to put the door panels and then the window crank arm back on, sh*t hit the fan. the window crank arm screw snaped off leaving part of it threaded. so i decided that there is no way of getting it out, so i start to drill it out. first 1/16, then 5/16 and then 3/32. well some how the 3/32 bit snaped too. dont know if i binded it up or what. so now i am stuck big time. luckily my crank are still fits on and rolls my window down, but it isnt attached, it just sits there. Help! am i screwed?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
meathead333 said:
i painted the inside of my doors today just to make it look a bit better. anyways, when i went to put the door panels and then the window crank arm back on, sh*t hit the fan. the window crank arm screw snaped off leaving part of it threaded. so i decided that there is no way of getting it out, so i start to drill it out. first 1/16, then 5/16 and then 3/32. well some how the 3/32 bit snaped too. dont know if i binded it up or what. so now i am stuck big time. luckily my crank are still fits on and rolls my window down, but it isnt attached, it just sits there. Help! am i screwed?

No, not screwed. Drill bits are brittle.
Put on your sagety glasses and some gloves. Using a nail set & hammer, strike the broke off part of the bit sharply. It should shatter and fall out of the hole.
This also works on broken Eazy Outs.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Skuzzlebutt said:
No, not screwed. Drill bits are brittle.
Put on your sagety glasses and some gloves. Using a nail set & hammer, strike the broke off part of the bit sharply. It should shatter and fall out of the hole.
This also works on broken Eazy Outs.
cool!

If you haven't already, I would also put some penetrating oil on it so that can be working while you figure out your next step.

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
In my experience the screw wont be as brittle as drillbits. So once you get that out try getting a punch and striking thescrewcounter clockwise out. If that doesnt work someone sells a "vicks bit set" that straddles the hole and directs the drill bit in, good luck.

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
I did the same thing when changing the water pump in my 68----

I was able to Dremel out the bit and bolt using a small bit.

I kept working it through and was able to get both out.

OP
OP
meathead333

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
Bronco_46256 said:
I did the same thing when changing the water pump in my 68----

I was able to Dremel out the bit and bolt using a small bit.

I kept working it through and was able to get both out.

what kind of bit?

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
It was a carbide round tip/ball bit. Just about the smallest they make.

I was able to wollow it out enough to get the broken ez-out and the drill bit inside of that---Don't ask, it was ugly.

The dremel took enough of the bit/ezout out to where I could spin the bolt backwards and get it free.

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
I bought one of these sets last time I was out of options. They work on studs, stripped bolts, and anything alse that is somewhat round. My set goes down to a half size (this set only goes to a #2 bit) so it might not be small enough for you.
00952162000-190.jpg

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...s&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952162000&bidsite=CRAFT

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Broken bolts are a PIA! Just remember presistance and patients will prevail. Now thats a lot of p's... ;D I've also had good luck using a spring loaded center punch to pick broken bolts out. Just click it counter clockwise and work out the bolt. As for your broken drill, you probably got through the bolt and in to the crank. If you can bust the bit out you may be able to pick out the rest.

OP
OP
meathead333

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
heres a picture of it...and one of my newly painted doors %)
the gold part is the broken and drille dout bolt(dont ask me why its gold, thats what the PO used). then in the center is the drill bit that broke off. its really quite small, ill have to mess with it later i guess.

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 53
  • P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 60

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
On the bright side, your doors look great. ;D I would deffinitely try shattering the bit, then using a screw extractor in the whole that it leaves.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Try a left hand or reverse cut drill bit. These actually drill into the material when your drill in in the counter clockwise setting. I've had very good good luck drilling a small hole in the center of the bolt (or or drill out the drill bit in your case) and then using a slightly larger reverse cut bit to drill into the material. What usually happens is that the drill bit will bite into the material while it is rotating in a counter clockwise direction and spin the stuck bolt (or maybe drill bit in your case) out. This has worked very good for me about a dozen times (my truck started out with a lot of rusty bolts).

Good luck, go slow and take your time.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I realize it's a little late.........next time get yourself a set of these. I extracted some really nasty phillips head screws (#10x4") with with these.

I have used a lot of things over time and these work the best. I was able to break a smaller one but no big deal.

Attachments

• 00952155000-dlv.jpg
    00952155000-dlv.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 15