• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help- Thermostat Problems

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Who makes the Best 185 degree thermostat, and please don't say Stant.

When I installed my new radiator in around July of last year I put a new Stant 185 degree theremostant. Everything worked fine till this winter. When the first time I would start the truck, it sometimes wouldn't open untill around 220 degrees. It didn't do it all the time, but as time went on it did it more and more often.

So in the middle of febuary I replced it with a brand new Stant 185 degree thermostat, This time I used one of there premium thermostats, and everything was fine untill today. When I started the truck up, and hit the road it didn't open to allmost 240 degrees. Then for the rest of the day it was fine.

So what the F is happening?? I know it has clean fluid, as I changed the coolant when I moved my radiator foward the other week.

Well I guess I am going to call Stant tomorw and bitch at them, but in the meantime, it is time for a new thermostat. So what brand would you all recomend???

Thanks and sorry about my rant.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
you could get the stant superstat with lifetime warrenty for around $7 and just keep bringing it back till you get a good one.

I have had this happen to my blazer also.....my temp gauge went south so I dont see it happen anymore.:eek: %)

Last edited:

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I have always used the Robertshaw Extra Performance thermostat in everything I can. The part # is 330-180. Summit has them in a Mr Gasket package as a MRG 4364 pg 179 in their latest catalog or a Milodon MIL 16401. You can order them from Kragen also as a 4364. I haven't had one go bad yet. 12 years on the Bronco and 27 years in the Dodge RV. I do replace them when I change coolant.

Mercruiser also uses this style of thermostats in boats but my 302 uses a 145 degree thermostat because of rubber parts in the exhaust system.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
you might want to consider using a design that stays in the open position when it fails-- I use the MOTORAD fail safe thermostat -- lots of factory thermostats are built this way & I would not even consider a thermostat that is not built to react this way ecspecially if you have alumiunum heads-- the robert shaw may do this just make sure

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I believe the Robertshaw fail closed like most of the other brands. Motorad sounds like a great idea. Where do you buy them?

For the Dodge RV and Dodge medium duty and above trucks owners don't try it without talking with the dealer. Dodge 361,413, and 440 truck engines require a thermostat with a closed bottom (Robertshaw). The Robertshaw serves as a thermostat and the closed bottom serves as a valve to direct water flow.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
72Sport said:
I believe the Robertshaw fail closed like most of the other brands. Motorad sounds like a great idea. Where do you buy them?

QUOTE]

Autozone has them part number 7244-180 for a 180 degree thermostat

I also went to my little local autoparts store and ordered a motorcraft waterpump. I figure since I have to drain the coolant anyways, this would be a good time to replace the waterpump.

Any special tricks on removing and replacing a waterpump on a 302??

ponch0v

76 bronco J said:
you might want to consider using a design that stays in the open position when it fails-- I use the MOTORAD fail safe thermostat -- lots of factory thermostats are built this way & I would not even consider a thermostat that is not built to react this way ecspecially if you have alumiunum heads-- the robert shaw may do this just make sure

Put in three new 190 MotoRad thermostats in my new EFI install and had NOTHING but troubles with heat. All three did not open under 200 deg. Went to a Napa premium and no more heat issues.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73958

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Test the thermostat before you put it in. (hot water and a thermometer). I had 1 180 that didn't start opening until 200.
Waterpump is straight forward. Don't break the long bolts that go through the timing cover! Use some antiseize on the long ones

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
ken75ranger said:
Test the thermostat before you put it in. (hot water and a thermometer). I had 1 180 that didn't start opening until 200.
Waterpump is straight forward. Don't break the long bolts that go through the timing cover! Use some antiseize on the long ones

To late to test the thermostat now, well maybee I could take it out and test it.

I got the water pump out, no problem, all the bolts came right out. I have all 10 bolts soaking in PB Blaster, and will clean them off real good tomorow. Thanks for the tip on the Antiseize

I would post a pic of the water pump, but you all know what they look like, it looked pretty good, but might as well replace it, since I have no idea how old it is.

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
I just put a new radiator and waterpump in and have a leak in the thermostat housing. If I buy a new thermostat does it come with a new gasket?

matt

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
matt69 said:
I just put a new radiator and waterpump in and have a leak in the thermostat housing. If I buy a new thermostat does it come with a new gasket?

matt

I have allways had to buy the gasket seperate

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
One Mo Thang

When I was scraping the old gasket off, and cleaning and chasing the threads. I noticed there was a light coat of RTV on either side of the old water pump gasket.

Should I use a little RTV when I install the gasket, or install the gasket without RTV??

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
I put a little RTV on mine to hold the gasket in place while mounting the pump. Don't know if it is the right way and I am by no means a mechanic.

matt

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
DonsBolt said:
One Mo Thang

When I was scraping the old gasket off, and cleaning and chasing the threads. I noticed there was a light coat of RTV on either side of the old water pump gasket.

Should I use a little RTV when I install the gasket, or install the gasket without RTV??
I go around the whole gasket and stick it to the pump. Then just around the inlet and outlet on the timing cover.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Well I have the new 180 degree motorad thermostat, and the new waterpump installed. When I filled the radiator up and started her up it took a little while to burp all the air out of the system. So I will have to wait untill tomorow morning, to see where it opens after it is fully cooled down.

Though during a 20-30 minute test ride everything seems normal. It feels like it opens up around 185 degrees or so.

So hopefully I am all through with thermostat problems.%) %) %) %) %)

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Well there are two good news and there is one Big Bad News

The First good news, is the new thermostat is working awesome

The bad news is, when the temp went to 250 degrees, it looks like I did some damage to the motor. While it is driving OK it is blowing smoke out of the right tail pipe.

The 2nd good news is I found a XB3 345 HP Ford Racing Crate motor, with 8000 miles for $1500.00 which I am picking up this weekend. So now I just have to figure out what distibutor, and carb I want to run on the new motor

72Sport

Bronco Guru
A mechanic once said about my 72 302 boat engine "If it has ever been hot it has blown head gaskets". I had been chasing an intermittent overheating problems with it for over a year. The boat only had 40hrs on it when I bought it so I knew he was wrong. He knew 302's. Your current engine probably just has a blown head gasket or gaskets so don't toss it.