• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with 66 axle code

mherm

I have a 1966 U14 with the VIN plate showing an axle code of 18. I can't seem to find this in any of the VIN decoder information I have found. Anybody know what this is?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey there. Welcome to classicbroncos! And another '66 as well? Very cool.
There are several '66 experts here, so you should have an answer soon enough. There are even threads discussing that, though searching might take longer than waiting for an answer!

Just for myself though (not an expert by any means) could the code be something with a letter instead? Such as "J8" or similar?
Might be an "18" as you said, but I've seen a lot of codes with letters as well. Many of the calculators and lists are incomplete, but those few I mentioned do have other sources of information.

Good luck.
And post pics when you get a chance too. We like pics...

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Small bearing 9" 3.50 gears non limited slip. It came with a v8 I suppose?

OP
OP
M

mherm

could the code be something with a letter instead? Such as "J8" or similar?
Might be an "18" as you said, but I've seen a lot of codes with letters as well. Many of the calculators and lists are incomplete, but those few I mentioned do have other sources of information.

Paul, it is definitely 18 rather than anything else. Much of the tag is pretty beat up but that area is really clear.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thanks for the info, it does have the V8. Any chance you could share the source ?

It's on broncohio and a couple other sites. 6cy only came with 4.11 or 4.57 is the reason I asked about the v8

OP
OP
M

mherm

It's on broncohio and a couple other sites. 6cy only came with 4.11 or 4.57 is the reason I asked about the v8

Thanks, when I looked at that site I saw that the 1966 VIN decoder didn't show the axle code 18 ( it also didn't show the VIN code N for the V8). Maybe the 3.50 ratio came in mid year like the V8. It makes sense when I look at those codes for the 67 which is pretty close to the time this build date (June 66).