• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP with air cleaner....

brownb4

Loc.
Friendsville, TN
i can't find a dadgum air cleaner that fits under my hood. just got his thing back together, running good and ready to ride. its a 77 stock with no SL or BL 302. every standard base ive tried (down to 10") hits the hood support near firewall. i tried a drop base from a performance shop today and it doesn't clear the choke assembly. i've seen guys running the triangle edlebrocks but i don't have $100 to throw at another IF.

i think the motor is out of a car (73' torino), did they have taller intakes in the cars?

any suggestions besides the stock setup or body lift?

72_EB

66to77
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-302-350/

If it has the stock Torino 2 barrel intake, this one above MAY fit. Maybe.
The drop base fits over stock Autolite choke linkage and most others I've tried. It sits pretty low.
Unfortunately, both rigs I've tried it on either had a body lift of a scoop. So it worked without a problem.

Whatever you do DON'T use that Edelbrock triangle piece of junk!
You'd have better luck duct taping steel wool or an old pair of underpants to the top of your carb.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I believe I used a Trans-dapt 2147 I know it fit on my 351w with a 4 barrel carb no body lift fit fine. I have one lying around pay the shipping and its yours.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I had the same problem with the 1 1/4 drop base so I got a 5 /8ths and it was still a little close so i found a kit at the auto parts store that had several different size spacers.I put one that was about1/8th-1/4 in and it cleared the choke and the hood I don't have any body lift.
You can use a lump of clay on top of the air cleaner to measure your clearance.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used a stock Mustang Hi-Po 289 unit. I have a Performer and Holley but stock body and suspension.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I have a stock one that I thought I could fit (crate engine) but it doesn't fit. Let me know if you need measurements. I'd sell it for what I got it or (think it wa 50 bucks).

If your manifold and carb is stock ish I'm sure it would fit.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I use the big Edelbrock triangle. I reversed it and it clears the throttle linkage and also fuel inlet so I didn't need the expensive Banjo fitting for the inlet.

Attachments

• Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    Blubuckaroo motor 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 45

clarrance

Bronco Guru
i can't find a dadgum air cleaner that fits under my hood. just got his thing back together, running good and ready to ride. its a 77 stock with no SL or BL 302. every standard base ive tried (down to 10") hits the hood support near firewall. i tried a drop base from a performance shop today and it doesn't clear the choke assembly. i've seen guys running the triangle edlebrocks but i don't have $100 to throw at another IF.

i think the motor is out of a car (73' torino), did they have taller intakes in the cars?

any suggestions besides the stock setup or body lift?

Ben,
I have a couple that you can try. The one I bought came from Performance Products and it clears everything. Let me know and you can try a couple of mine

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
i used one from spectre that clears good i think its a 9 or 10 inch round setup im all stock other than that.

OP
OP
brownb4

brownb4

Loc.
Friendsville, TN
thanks guys, i guess there's several options out there i just need to find the right one. i think i'll try the clay trick and get some idea of whats goin on under there.

Chad, i'll give a call today on my way back from MO-Town, maybe i can stop over one day this week. Thanks again.