• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Autometer Speedo

workforce

Loc.
Natchez, MS
I need help hooking up a Autometer Phanton II Programable Speedo. What I have is RJM Harness and a new BCB speed sensor I've tried hooking it up both to the neg. side and the pos. side out of the sensor and still can not get the speedo to program. I hooked the volt meter up to see if I had power going to the sensor it read 4.7 volts out either side so I jacked up the rear end and let the rear wheels spin to see if it changed and it did not. So any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I guess I just don't understand how it's suppose to work.

broncobillyusmm

Loc.
Mountain Home
I have the exact same speedo. It sounds like the BCB sensor is physically in the dana 20. You need to make sure that the sensor and gear in the dana 20 are meshing correctly. If its to small it won't get a reading.

I don't know if you read the directions but you have to calibrate it. After you checked the sensor you are supposed to hold the button in and start the engine with the button still pressed in. It should be pegged out to max mph. Once thats done you drive you find a place where you can drive one mile at a good speed with no interuptions. I used mile markers on a well known road. Don't stop when you find your mark just keep a steady speed and hit the button right as you hit the first mark. The speedo should jump to half scale. Once your right on the 1 mile mark you hit the button again. The gauge should dance around for a sec or two and then read correctly.

Re-reading your post I'm wondering if your even getting any signal at the speedo. Let me know and I'll try to help.

OP
OP
W

workforce

Loc.
Natchez, MS
Yeah I tried the calibration it just never would calibrate. I think I'm not getting a signal from the VSS. I went and bought another one and I'm going to plug it in and spin it with a drill and see what reading I get. I think it should read between 2.0 volts to 120 volts according to the tech dept. at autometer. I'm running a stock speedo gear that should work shouldn't it. Thanks for your help.

broncobillyusmm

Loc.
Mountain Home
If I remeber correctly my cable and sensor are one unit and all you do is put the old plastic gear on with a c-clip. There are two connections or three on the back of the speedo. Its been a while. Where did I buy the cable . . . hmm?