• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with big decision

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't posted anything on my project in some time as its been on hold until retirement. It started with open heart surgery 9 years ago. That stopped me in my tracks. A long recovery, return to work, and the distraction of other projects have put it on the back burner. An unexpected early move from Colorado to Michigan to care for my parents has created an overwhelming situation including building a new shop and selling my property in Boulder. Sooo much to do!

Overwhelming to the point of effecting my physical and mental health. I'm considering selling the 70 Bronco project. It's ready to be assembled. The frame and body were media blasted.

The frame has been painted with an Eastwood chassis ceramic system. New Wildhorses springs with 1 inch lift. A 2000 explorer engine/transmission.

The body is ready to go back on the frame. It's uncut and ready for color. Body work is complete and its primed with epoxy. The bottom is sealed and under coated with raptor bed liner.

Lots of parts. It's a pueblo Colorado vehicle so there was very little rust other than the rockers and floorboards which were replaced. Nothing left to repair.

All of my work has been documented in the tech section over the years.

Question is what's it worth! I know what I have invested in time and money are irrelevant. Finding a project at this stage would have been my dream when I was looking for a Bronco project.

Your thoughts and suggestions on selling or keeping it are greatly appreciated. Right now I have so much to move and have been hemorrhaging retirement savings. So many projects that I need to get realistic on what to keep and what to pass on.

Dave...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I vote keep it Dave but I do understand about overwhelmed!

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I vote keep it Dave but I do understand about overwhelmed!

Laying here in bed on a Punta Canna overnight. Sleepless and agonizing about all that has to be done and trying to figure out how to be everywhere at once. I'd walk from work tomorrow if it wasn't for healthcare worries. Just turned 60 so I'm on my own for a few years when I quit. My retirement evaporated with bankruptcies in the airline industry years ago.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Laying here in bed on a Punta Canna overnight. Sleepless and agonizing about all that has to be done and trying to figure out how to be everywhere at once. I'd walk from work tomorrow if it wasn't for healthcare worries. Just turned 60 so I'm on my own for a few years when I quit. My retirement evaporated with bankruptcies in the airline industry years ago.

Overwhelmed ..yea!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
In my opinion, you would be better off paying someone to finish it. Most people take a huge loss when they sell an unfinished project because buyers are limited in that category. Most want one drivable, or a start from the beginning project. So most of the time, unfinished projects that are not 80-90% done don't bring a lot.

Then if you do pay someone to finish, you could decide to keep it if you wanted. The downfall is the amount of money it takes to have one in that stage finished by someone else.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I would vote for keeping it if possible but I completely understand your concerns. Sometimes you just have to let things go. Is it the investment you have in it, the amount of time it will require to finish it, or the moving it that is your concern? You will likely take a financial hit by selling it in it's current state. Is the '70 your only Bronco or do you have another? What do you have in it vs. what do you hope to get for it if you sell it?

Taking care of your parents has become first and foremost from what I have read lately and good on you for that. I would much rather have Bronco regrets than family regrets.

If there is a way to get it boxed up and moved your way until you have the time and funds to finish it then I say go for it, but if it is a losing proposition all the way around then it may be time to cut it loose. If cutting it loose turns out to be the best option, I hope you can find someone here to take it over and get it finished.

Best of luck to you Dave. Let us know what you decide.

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you need the money sell it, if you don't throw it in that big ass garage you just built and cover it up until you are ready to get to it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
put a number on it that your happy with and see if it sells. If there is no sale then you need to have it finished or finish it yourself.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire

I know how this feels Dave, I lost about $500K 10 years ago when my company I worked for went chapter 11 then chapter 7 liquidation. I have had to start from scratch. At 50 now, I am still concerned about how long I will need to work.

put a number on it that your happy with and see if it sells. If there is no sale then you need to have it finished or finish it yourself.

This is the way I would go, put the number on it you think is right based on what you have into it and what you feel you need to get for it. If it is unrealistic in "buyers" eyes, it simply will not sell. Set a number that you are not willing to go below and go from there. If you are eventually planning on buying something complete, realize what the market is currently doing and factor that in.

At the end of the day, no vehicle is worth your physical or mental health. It is only a car and they are always available if you are willing to pay the price for what you want.

Good luck.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I vote for keeping it if possible. Even if you stick it in the corner for a few years, considering how much work you put into it selling it as a project you will never get your money and time back. About 5 years ago I went through a similar thing, the economy was in the tank, we scaled way back at work, and I had a son on the way. I was starting to panic as I already had 3 other kids and my father was thinking of selling the company because he wanted to retire. I had a 73 that I did a frame off on and it was done except for final body and paint work, I slapped it back together to get it driving and sold it thinking it was the best thing to do, took a loss on what I had in it. The money disappeared into the daily routine. I regret selling it every day, the truck was exactly what I wanted and have looked for another ever since. But if you have a specific thing you need the money for, and it is critical in your life then sometimes you do what you have to do. Unfortunately I didn't really need to sell my truck and I regret it.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I'm in a similar situation Dave. My constraint at the moment is time and budget. We moved from town to the country last summer. It costs a lot out of pocket to buy and sell houses;( So we get here, then need a different mower. A new chainsaw. Then a polesaw. Then a tractor. The well needed fixed. And on and on..
When I started my Bronco frame off my airplane was in the shop, the other house was squared away and I had lots of time on my hands.
Now the airplane is out of the shop, i've got this property to keep me busy, the airplane needs constant time and money, and it's tough to find time to work on the Bronco. I work on it about 1 hour a week lol. Plus I have the 69 Bronco sport daily driver that always needs some TLC. And retirement is coming closer each day. I'm pretty energetic but don't have the ambition I used to have.
I'm going to keep my frame off project and keep trudging along but i've thought the same thoughts as you a hundred times but i'm still in denial.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Start by writing a list of all the specific things such as projects, responsibilities etc. that are driving you crazy and are either already there or are leading to health and mental problems. It's called getting a grip on what's troubling you. Then start scratching off and getting rid of some of them that you can dispose of quickly and effectively. If your Bronco is one that is causing you to have mental and health problems get rid of it. Consider it a remedy to some of your money troubles if you sell it. Set a sensible price based on what you have invested and remember that you can always adjust the price downward but not upward. No project whatever it might be is worth mental and health problems. And most importantly start by clearing your mind of worries that might be considered simple once you see them written down. Good luck and God bless.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dave whatever you decide, since you going to decide on your own anyway. I just hope things really get better soon and they will. It's tough when life just stacks tons of stuff on your plate all at once and then adds a little more. Your physical and mental health are the most important. Break out the old priority list with your projects and rank them.
Hang in there

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If there is any place to sell what you have in the current condition, it is here on this site where most members know what it takes to build one and what it may be worth.

I would list the Bronco in the for sale section and list all that has been done, parts included and as many pictures as possible. I am sure someone here will be interested.

It is tough to sell these trucks especially after so much time has been spent on them. Sounds like you need to take it off your list of worries right now.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Dave ,as others have said ,rat hole it until your life stabilizes , My life is on hold as I care for my wife. I've had to take a leave from work to care for her. I'm in the same health insurance hole ,at 64 i'm not able to hang it up .
Try to look at the big picture,the stress your dealing with now will be replaced by a new stress,that's life. A project to take your mind off everyday life may be the medicine you need.
At the end of the day it's just a material thing and the sacrifices you've made to care for your folks is much more important,I commend you for that. Good Luck,Mike

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Dave,

You share a lot that I know is concerning to many of us.

I'm a member of the "work 'til you die" program. Bad investments and listening to the wrong people. The upside is I'm reasonably healthy, and in general there are more good things about what I do than bad. I'm 60 and I imagine I'll be working into my 70s.

To the point of your post, if you have any thoughts about doing another Bronco project I wouldn't consider selling what you have now. I may be wrong; but, you'll not find something that is heading the exact direction of your project. If you need to sell for financial reasons, I agree with the others that it may be the best choice. If you can afford to hang onto it, I wouldn't sell it.

We have a '70 in the garage that is about 85% complete. I haven't touched it in a year. Before that spent at a year at the painter. Every day I go into the garage it is a major frustration too me. My wife is pretty understanding; but, she has never been a big fan of this project. She has advocated selling it for a long three years. I know that I'd take a beating on it. More importantly, I know that I would regret selling it. As life usually works, I can expect to have some free time about the time I sell it. It gets to me sometimes... If I could get a good price for it, I might consider selling it. I just don't see anyone paying me what I think it's worth.

Maybe our problems are the same.... our outlook. Instead of looking at the unfinished projects waiting to be completed, and as a source of stress, we should consider the potential of what we have in our possession. If time and money allows, they'll get completed. If not, maybe the value of Broncos will continue to climb and we'll make a little more. I know that your situation is a little more difficult because of the move.

It might be worth considering having someone else complete ours; but, I just can't commit to that kind of money. Not only that; but, I'm not sure someone else would do it the way I'd like.

Sorry for the long post... I hope your path gets a little more bearable soon.

Jeff

Mtgrizzlymn

Hope you can keep it Dave! Like most say the money will slowly disappear and then you have nothing, I finally have my dream bronco and I hope I never have to sell it. I would sell anything else I think my bronco is to hard to replace.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
This thread is not so much about another old Bronco project, but about life choices.

Material things mean little to me. Over the years I've made and lost gobs of money. After a couple of huge swings both ways I choose to not let it bother me so much anymore

So now as I get closer to retirement time I'm way more conservative with my dollars.

There are lots of Bronco's in this world. You could buy and sell all day, everyday, and not run out of Bronco's to trade anytime soon.

And the reality of selling is that it will only fetch a fair market value price. Your emotional attachment does not translate into dollar signs. The laws of supply and demand are in full force.

There isn't much market for classic Bronco's in the project stage. Plus they simply don't have much value because most buyers in this market segment want to use their own vision of a project, not try to fix someone else's screw ups and mistakes.

Choose to let it sit and continue to go down in value w/o a realistic expectation of every finishing it, while maintaining the "dream"....no one likes to sell their dream -I understand. Or choose to sell it for whatever price the market will bare and move along w/ other aspect of life.

elan

Loc.
s
Six years ago my neighbor bought a lovely '64 Chevelle two door with a factory 4 speed. The seller had spent a boat load of money on it. The buy was 10K. Seller said his kid was in college and this would help pay for it. The guy was bothered about selling his car, can't blame him.

Here is my take. The poor sap sells his toy so the kid can go to school. Money gone, car gone..........all for nothing.

Pickle the Bronc for later. Trust me.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
dave, hate to hear you are in this spot, but it is very understandable. i commend you on stepping up to take care fo your folks and doing what you know you need to do deep down.
i'd be open to potentially buying what you have as a start to build into someones dreams.
email me if you'd like to discuss off site.
N