• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big tranny problem. Need help quick

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Was putting clutch in the 67 for the ride to townsend. Two problems. Tranny was tore apart to put seals in and ford guy said the 2-3 shift fork was worn out. He said prob from someone resting arm on shifter while in third. Will make it pop out of third. Anyone know where i can get this part or if its called slmething else.

This is a 6cyl bronc and when we went to put bell housing and clutch fork back in, if its sitting in the groove where it pivots (clip type) the throwout bearing is nowhere in the center of where it should be where input shaft goes through

We have a 302 drivetrain out of a 71 bronc and it has the same clutch fork. It is sitting in center where its supposed to be. My question is are the v8 and 6 clutch forks different. If so anyone have one I need it yesterday. Maybe we are putting it in wrong.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you were closer I would give you my three speed to take parts from! If you can't get a new parts you can get the fork pads welded and ground to make them thicker. If it is popping out of gear I would suspect too much free play in the transmission or the linkage was not adjusted. If it wore enough to not get it all the way in gear it must be really worn!

Make sure the fork is in the normal released position. It should be centered. If you have it at the extreme of the the travel it may no longer be centered. Make sure the fork is seated in the pivot correctly also. If it is not centered keep looking it will come back to haunt you.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Clutch forks between 6cyl and V8's are different. Im pretty sure the 6cyl one is shorter. Mainly due to the slightly smaller bellhousing.
The shift forks out of the V8 tranny should work in the 6cyl tranny you just need to verify they are the same. Typically a tranny that pops out of gear either has a synco issue or detent issue. usually if a shift fork is that worn you have more issues with shifting into gear than anything.
Of course another issue is correct shift linkage adjustment and if its a floor shifter it could be worn and the stops need to be adjusted properly as well or it may have detents that are worn in it as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Anyone have a 6cyl clutch fork they want to get rid of? I think a mustang one ftom 67-68 are the same from what ive read but if i could find one out of a bronc it would satisfy me that its the right one

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to hit up that guy from PA in the classifieds that has a lot of parts theres a few other that may have them as well. Or hit up some of the vendors some of them sell used parts Bronco hut, JBG, I know Toms used to as well and may still.

OP
OP
P

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Found a clutch fork its on the way. Tore the shift forks out of v8 tranny last night and they look like they will work in mine. Fingers crossed. If ups gets my clutch fork here by monday i should be good for SC but if not i may be riding again instead of driving

OP
OP
P

Phoneman

Loc.
South Carolina
Bad news. RAT forks wont work. So i was resorting to ordering a refurb tranny and called Toms to get a shipping quote. After asking if they refurbed them in house he let me talk to matt who got the casting number off mine and is 2 day air it to me Fingers crossed i can get it all back together for Super Celebration