• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with front u joints

Bustter4

Replacing the front u joints on the cv axels at the front wheels. The new ones I got at autozone I can't seem to get the c clamp to go in its just a shade to long. Has anyone ever had this problem

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
You probably have the wrong ujoint. Take some calipers and measure and then go check out spicer (or others) website.

It is possible you have a defective one but my money is on wrong ujoint. Your shafts may not be stock and therefore parts guys may have given you the wrong one. Plus, sometimes their computers are just plain wrong on our old rigs.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Sometimes when assembled one of the roller pins gets out of place and ends up between the cap and trunion. Might want to pull the cap and see if all the pins are in their proper place.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Replacing the front u joints on the cv axels at the front wheels. The new ones I got at autozone I can't seem to get the c clamp to go in its just a shade to long. Has anyone ever had this problem

Assuming you meant C-clip, I had to "clean-up" the inside yoke hole edges a little with a file. Sometimes the hole edges get distorted a little when pressing the old joint out. Those clips are a tight fit under the best of circumstances.

OP
OP
B

Bustter4

Hey guys thanks for the help. After going through 6 auto parts places and trying numerous joints finaly found one that would work. Thanks yall for the help