• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with WH front disc conversion D30

broncobusted

So i started installin my disc brake kit and i got to a red what looks like a bearing seal. Does it go on the spindle before the inner bearing ? If someone who has done this knows please post. I would put up a pic but i dont have access.
Thanks for any advice
Dave

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey busted, sorry I'm just seeing this. You can send pics to me directly PM me and I can give you my cell for texts and e-mail.

So you're saying the part in question is a red color? Regular seal? In a box? Is it marked #4250? If so that's the regular inner bearing seal for the hub. But I'm guessing if it was the right size, you'd have figured that out.

If your spindles have the deep recess in their backside, see if it fits in there. I think we put both styles of spindle seals in the box, but you only use the style that was on your truck to begin with.
Previously we installed them in the spindles before shipping, but perhaps that changed (to save time, money and trouble for the installer to remove them if they were not needed?) and they are now loose? Sorry I don't remember the part number or we could verify it that way.

What year is your Bronco? Assuming that because it's a Dana 30 you have a mid-'71 or earlier? Do you still have the old spindles? If so, compare them to the new ones and see if the back recess is the same. If so, install the seals into the backs of the new spindles and install them as you would a stock one.
If you use the press-in seal, do NOT use the floating bellows type seal that should also be included. If you do not use the press-in seal, then in it's place you would use the floating seal.

You can always verify all of this by sliding the different seals over the axle shaft's sealing surface to see which fits better. But being an early model truck there is a better than average chance that you will use the press-in type.

Good luck. Definitely shoot me a pic though, and we can verify.
Of course, by the time you see my reply you'll probably be able to call right in to the office and ask someone to confirm what you have.

Talk to you tomorrow. Uh, today I mean.;D

Paul